I may join the obsession!

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, I have been wanting goats for a LONG time. But my lovely partner wanted sheep first, even though he doesn't take care of ANY of them :he
I love my sheep but still have my heart set on some goats. So I have two potential people I have been talking to and will go see a few this weekend. Cost unfortunately is a massive factor for me, so I am restricted in terms of being able to get the best of the best. I was just curious of the two breeds I am seeing/intersted in, Lamancha & Nigerian Dwarf, which is YOUR personal favorite? I am leaning towards Nigerian Dwarf but I am by no means a goat master. Thanks in advance and you guys are awesome!:celebrate

chiques chicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Opening a can of worms, huh?:)

Get two, no, three, of each! I just got started myself, buy the answer is, get what you like that fits your needs. Are you looking for milk production, meat, pets, brush clearing?
I have a nigi wether and two mini Nubian does. Each one has its own personality. The nigi is the friendliest, but that is primarily because I got him young and he was my first. I like them all!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I own both, started with ND's.
I like my ND's but I LOVE my Lamanchas. Maybe that isn't fair... I do love my dwarfs too.
Personality wise the Lamanchas are more loving, want to be with us all the time. The ND's are like that at first but over time they all seem to become snots IMO. :lol: Not in a mean way just more "herdy" like. EXCEPT the BOYS! I :love:love:love:love:love Nigerian Bucks. Just LOVE them.

I always wanted a Lamancha but I liked the small goat. Over the years much has changed. My farm partner has/owns most of the ND's and I the Lamanchas. Will I ever get rid of all my ND's.. no. I just like the lay in my lap give me hugs and kisses and follow me like a dog Lamanchas.

The upside is they (Dwarfs)are independent and not "needy"... they are also very hardy. Lamanchas tend to be all up in your business...

I will always have a few Nigies. :) It really is hard to answer a question like that because I LOVE all my goats. I have Lamanchas, Mini Manchas, Nubian, Mini Nubian, Nigerian Dwarf, Alpine ( recently sold) and Kiko meat goats. Truth is I love the variety.

Come on they're goats... how can ya go wrong with a goat? :D =D

My Lamanchas-

Zephyr- coming for some love
June 8,2016 091.JPG

And here they come... Lamancha and Mini lamancha and Zephyr
June 8,2016 107.JPG

More come in as well as the Alpine
June 8,2016 109.JPG

Now the babies come in- See what I mean? :love
June 8,2016 110.JPG

Mariah give love hugs rubs, babies waiting
June 8,2016 111.JPG

Zephyr follos us everywhere like she is still a baby
June 8,2016 123.JPG

Zephyrs baby a mini mancha- Bingo
June 8,2016 142.JPG

Jane cuddling
June 9,2016 018.JPG

Jane snuggled and sleeping :love Mini Nubian in front.
June 9,2016 026.JPG

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We started with Nigerians because we had limited space
We moved to more space and considered getting some standards ( it would have been Nubians for us ) but ultimately decided to stick with Nigies
More space means that we can retain more animals to try to improve our herd
Of course now that ADGA is likely to accept Golden Gurnsey's we may go that route at some point

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Since you've decided you'll be wanting milk, the question becomes how much? The Nigie will give 1-2 quarts a day, the full sized like a Lamancha can give a gallon or more a day. Maybe a mini (cross between a Nigie buck and full sized doe) might fit the bill better? Just a thought :D Hope you'll post some pics when you get them!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@OneFineAcre makes a good point. It is much easier to focus on ONE breed then multiple breeds. You can really pour your energy and resources into a single breed. OFA has had great success in doing just that and it is very smart.

There are A LOT of people in my family. When many are involved and one likes one breed and one likes another that is how you end up with 50 goats and lots of different breeds.

I really love our Nubian and our mini nubians although it took a long time for me to get use to that roman nose and long ears.

My focus is Lamancha and mini mancha... but of course the few Nigies I own now, will stay forever.

I have found that even though I THINK I will downsize and stick with just a few breeds I just can't. There is something special about each one here.

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have found that even though I THINK I will downsize and stick with just a few breeds I just can't. There is something special about each one here.
Agreed! I was going to eliminate the smaller breed, (go towards bigger milk production), but I have two smaller does/doelings that would be hard to part with. My favorite goat... is one of the small ones. She's half Nigerian. :) Her personality is wonderful!
I don't have Lamancha's, but my Nigerian buck is well-tempered, and his offspring are great too. :)