I need to kill this mink...

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So the mink couldn't get anymore of my birds so it attacked my rabbits. It chewed through some wire and took one but mained her. How do I help her? Her eye is completely gone. Thank you.... :(

IMG_7609.JPG
IMG_7607.JPG

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:thThat is AWFUL!!!

Don't know what to do for the rabbit. Others will I'm sure. I guess I would do antibiotics in any case.

What kind of wire and how big an area do you need to reinforce? I suppose with time a mink could chew through 1/2" hardware cloth, I don't know. How about some 1"x2" fencing? It tends to be 14 gauge so thicker than hardware cloth (usually 19 gauge) and I think the holes would be too small for a mink.

I found this, looks like you can use a large size Havahart trap. The article suggests making an artificial tunnel covered with rocks/grasses to make it look more natural (then SSS):

https://poultrykeeper.com/pests-and-predators/mink-trapping-tips-for-poultry-keepers/

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Bruce a mink could go through 1x2 holes fairly easily.
There is an ol timers way of getting a mink that I tried once and it worked ...but... You need a gallon GLASS cider jug with the top a little bigger than the ones I"ve seen lately. About 2 - inches inside diameter hole. You bury it in the ground 3/4 way up and put a couple of sardines in it. The idea of burying it is to prevent it from getting tipped over and being dark inside. Nothing much can get in it except a mink which will get through most any hole there is. Once they get in it going after the sardines, they cannot get themselves back out as there is nothing to use to help push themselves back up out of the hole and it is too narrow for them to grab and pull because of the narrow space. You also could try a havahart with sardines but have to put it where cats and other animals can't get caught in it. And make sure you weigh it down so it cannot get tipped over and/or covered up some so that it is "darker" inside it

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are having such a problem with that mink. It really did a number on your rabbit.

If it was mine, I'd be sitting at the Vet's office. The rabbit can easily live without the eye, but you don't know what nastiness may have been in the mink's mouth so just throwing antibiotics at the rabbit would be hit or miss.

How is the rabbit doing? Moving around? Drinking? I'd be worried about shock.

That mink needs to be re-homed in the netherworld, way past the River Styx... maybe a blazing Viking funeral too.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do mink carry rabies? Poor bunny, it must have been terrified. Hope you get that mink. Is there a state trapper you might be able to contact?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'll be replacing this bottom this afternoon. It was such a tiny hole, I am amazed
IMG_7612.JPG
IMG_7611.JPG

Latest posts