If you were going to start a fiber farm.

kitchwitch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If I was starting a fiber farm I'd get a couple yak :-D

In my experience, Cria don't like to live, which rules out future alpaca/llama ownership for me. I have angora rabbits and I'd like to expand on those. They do require quite a bit of work but I love them and the fiber they give me.

I would get a few pygora and merino or BFL sheep. People seem to really like BFL, so I imagine there's more money to be made in their wool.

Ninny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
kitchwitch said:

In my experience, Cria don't like to live, which rules out future alpaca/llama ownership for me. I have angora rabbits and I'd like to expand on those. They do require quite a bit of work but I love them and the fiber they give me.

I would get a few pygora and merino or BFL sheep. People seem to really like BFL, so I imagine there's more money to be made in their wool.
Whats a bfl sheep?

kitchwitch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ninny said:
kitchwitch said:

Whats a bfl sheep?
A Bluefaced Leicester

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
MrsCountryChick said:
that's just Waaaaaay too much commitment to us to take care of a fibre rabbit. & they need to be groomed so they don't get binded up internally from grooming themselves alone without a caregiver grooming their fur. They're
It depends on the breed of angora. I have French Angoras which are low maintenance. I only comb mine out around when they are molting (every 3 months) I pluck off the prime wool and comb out/trim out any mats around their legs.

Then again, I bought this buck from a fiber farm. They had no idea what they were doing. Before and after pics on the link

http://penelopesrabbitry.blogspot.com/2010/12/best-man.html

Zephyr Farms

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow, the difference in the buck are amazing!!

If I were to start a fiber farm I would have: Angoras (probally English), Pygora goats, and Leicester Longwool Sheep.:)

midnitesun

Just born
Reaction score
I started out with 3 alpacas 3 years ago and my herd has grown.. I now have 9 alpacas, 2 llamas, and 2 cashgora goats(about to add more).
When I started I didn't really think I would get into the spinning and processing of the fiber, but I did.. I found out that I'm a natural at spinning and processing, and that alot of "old timers" in the spinnig world can't spin "lace weight" yarn like I do (and I still have no clue how I do it :rolleyes:)... It's fun starting a fiber farm, adn the best part is that you have lawnmowers too boot..

Latest posts