Introducing goats

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I found a ND wether as companion for our little lame Kiko. They are penned together and both seem rather taken aback by the other. I didnt expect them to become BFFs immediately but can anyone share thoughts on how long it might take and if there is any way i can help?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
As long as they aren't trying to injure each other, don't worry about it. It will take some time for your new little guy to settle in :)

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They will settle in time, just keep in mind that one is going to be the leader. So every now an again you will see what appears to be aggressive behavior. This is the goats testing to see who will remain leader or if leadership will change. My five are generally pretty settled. Occasionally my "queen bee" will shove one of the younger ones. That is usually the extent of remember I'm the boss moments.

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wish I had video'd the look on our new guy's face yesterday when he saw Tripod for the first time. She walks funny, of course, but there seemed like something more. I just found out this morning that Scotchy had never seen a white goat before. And for Tripod to come hippity-hopping toward him had to have just blown his mind.

MsDeb

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Scotchy. 2 year old ND. I think he looks like someone sprayed him on top with a can of whipped cream. I especially adore the little white speckles across his nose. I got him from a 9 year old girl who has raised him since he was 8 weeks old. (The family has a beautiful farm with several registered dairy goats, bunnies, ducks, exotic laying hens...) He is accustomed to being on a lead, which helped yesterday because everything was new and frightening (especially the white goat. LOL!) and I was afraid he would try to run, so we kept him OBSERVED on a cable while he grazed in our clover meadow with Tripod. I hope it won't take long for him to relax enough to roam freely. They told me he did that for them but they had lots more land and he had been there since he was a baby.

Scotchy1.jpg Scotchy2.jpg

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Handsome boy. I have four that can wander, other two are tethered(0bserved always). One is the buck. The other is the momma of two others. They stay where ever she is. One of the is 4 & the other is 7 weeks. The last wanderer is more like my dog(bottle raised) follows me every where.

Latest posts