is my pig in labor? false labor? help please!

Fortheloveofhen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My piggie is due soon and i thought she might be haveing them yesterday. She was acting strange, poopin a lot and paceing, then she wayed with her legs behinde her and started breathing a little heavy and shakeing a little, then would get up, then do it again. I practicly slept outside but no milk or bloody show. Today she is avoiding treats but eating and drinking a ton, and laying on her side and moveing her back leg up and down, then she stops. Im confused and worried. No discharge or milk but heavy breathing and laying on her side and pawing at the air with her back leg, then she will get up and move around. Her vulva is swolen and redish and it flexing a little, and i cleaned her stall yesterday since she pooped so much but now there is a ton. Can pigs have false labor? Am i crazy for thinking she will have them soon? I can feel her piglets moveing still and her belly has droped to the ground. I can see her individual teats full of milk and they are hard when you push on them. I am a little worried aboutl her!
image:1889.jpg
image:1891.jpg
image:1892.jpg
image:1893.jpg

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our girls usually don't stay in labor more than a few hours. Any longer than that and I would be worried. Do you think she has been in active labor at all? Any signs of pushing?

Fortheloveofhen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
No discharge. No milk. She was pulling her leg up and down earlyer and her stomach has been contracting a little. She seems to be sleeping now but she was paceing today and i saw a lot of what i thought was early labor. If there isnt discharge she probiably dosent have a baby stuck in there right? Her vulva was slightly moist looking but i assumed that was typical... I would think a discharge would be thick and visable.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Typically it is. Unfortunately there's a lot of non typical cases out there.

Feel of her stomach, is it hard or soft? You said there's no milk, she will usually get that says or a week before. It looks like she's got milk to me. If there wasn't, they wouldn't be that prominent.

If she's eating and drinking I wouldn't stress to much.

Is she a first time sow?-

Fortheloveofhen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So i thought she was sleeping on the baby monitor but i went to check on her and she is breathing loudly and very fast and when i walked over she rolled over and wanted to be pet. I pet her belly and she was makeing wimpering sounds. She isnt as loud as pigs on the videos i have watched but she seems uncomfortable. She looks uncomfortable but no discharge or milk. Her breathing sounds like someone snoreing almost. Deep and fast but not too loud.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds like labor. Keep an eye on her, I would take her to the vet in the morning if she still hasn't delivered.

Fortheloveofhen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
She has a milk line but i can express it. This is her second litter. She is a rescue and she let the first litter die so i am worried and feel i need to be there when she has them.
She was thrown into a rescue because she didnt feed her babies last time and her old owner mut have known she was pregnant again. I dont know exactly when she is due but i have had her for over 3 months now.