It is so saddening to see LGDS jump from home to home where I live

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was looking on different websites for LGDS for sale and it is so saddening to see LGDS jump from home to home. I was wondering if this happens to great Pyrenees mostly where you live. It is very common for a great Pyrenees to bounce from 3-4 home before finding someone that knows how to help them.
For example there has been a great Pyrenees pup that was 8 months old when we was posted for $50 there he goes at 8 months of age to spend 24/7 with goats and is expected to no how to guard. Less than 2 weeks later he is up for sale again, this time he was for sale cuz he wanted to be with there other dog. I saw him for sale 2 more times after that. He has been bounce from home to home 4 or more times in the last 2 months. This is not the only pup that goes thru this in Oregon is this common or is it just Oregon? It makes me so sad:(

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is everywhere.
Too many people breeding them that do not really care where they go.
Too many people that cannot adequately place them.
Too many people buying a dog and don't have a clue and get bad advice.

Makes me so sick.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize it is that bad.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have found homes for 4 of our pups
We told each that if they had problems and it did not work out we would take the pup back and refund the money
So far all are doing well !!
I think at this point we Ade going to find a home for one more pup and we are keeping

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have found homes for 4 of our pups
We told each that if they had problems and it did not work out we would take the pup back and refund the money
So far all are doing well !!
I think at this point we Ade going to find a home for one more pup and we are keeping

There is the difference. You care. You never did this for financial gain. You also would keep any dog before just placing it anywhere!
:thumbsup

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
In some areas it's common for folks to buy 4, $50 pyrs and shoot the two that "don't work out" :somad
That is how it is on CL all the time. lot of are free and they have to be picked up that day other ways there put to death. :(:hit

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh my gosh I have never even seen on posted on Craigslist. I had no idea it was that bad! Being a behaviorist and dog lover, it makes me so angry to hear that people have this little care and don't think dogs need to be trained to protect their animals. I have been looking for one, which i intent to have to train and pay plenty of attention to, and I can't even find one!

Reactions: TAH

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Much of this goes back to the buyers.
Unreasonable expectations of these dogs.

I would say that on almost every consult call I have to tell people -
"Your expectations will have to change. PERIOD!"
"Respect the dog"
"Work with the dog as if he/she is your PARTNER"
"Stop micro-managing the dog- it is smarter than you are"

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
People don't want to accept that MOST of these dogs need some training. There are some that just "get it" right from the start but most of them require someone to give them some basic training and to spend time with them. Sometimes a lot of time. You might have to reconfigure your barn and pens to keep them separate, you might (will) lose some chickens, you garden hose or shovel may get chewed on, and so it goes with a pup. But buyers want these dogs to act like livestock, throw them in the field and forget about them and then complain when the bored puppy chases, chews, digs, barks, climbs, etc. Any puppy will do those things and yet the cute little house pet is pampered and trained and those habits are corrected...the LGD gets tossed in the field and rehomed when it acts like a puppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.