Ivermectin for worms

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Keep us posted, if you would..

You might consider checking his eyelids to get a FAMACHA score.. Here's the chart:

FAMACHA2.jpg

Sorry it's so big, but it's a bit intricate.

Keep in mind that your monitor settings will have an effect on the coloration...that is, it may look different on your screen than mine or someone else's, and it's best to have a famacha card right in front of you. Still, this should give you an indication of where to look and approximately what you're looking for.

I've personally seen worm-killed goats whose eyelids are as white as the background of this text.. Yikes..

Rhondax6

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We're back. She couldn't see anything in the stool using her own tools so she's sending it out to be examined further. We should know by Wednesday......

Rhondax6

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oops, sorry I didn't see your posts until just now! He's doing as well as always. Seems a little tired but he's just a baby, maybe that's normal? He eats a lot and drinks ok......

The vet just called and said he has coccidia. She recommended Corid as a drench for both goats and Ivermec injectable for worm prevention. I've read scary things about coccidia. How worried should I be?

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You should get that taken care of ASAP.

Your local feedstore may have CoRid, but I know a lot of folks prefer using Di-Methox or Albon.. CoRid (amprollium) is in a lot of feed, and I've read that certain strains of coccidia have become resistant to it.. As such, it's said to be less effective than it used to be.

I'd get some kind of coccidia treatment in him just as soon as you can, though.

Good luck.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I copied this from an earlier reply I made to someone who had a goat w/ Cocci....

I'd drench them w/ dimethox, 1 cc per 5 # on the first day, 1cc per 10# days 2-7. Then retreat in 14 days, and again in 21 days.

Give him calf manna feed and red cell drench to build his blood up.
Vitamin B shots and Probios will help, too.

Coccidia destroys the lining of the intestines, so that even if they're eating, they can't ABSORB what they eat.

I'll add...Corid works by interfering w/ the goat absorbing B vitamins / thiamine...which is what Cocci feeds off of.
Too much corid can make the goat sicker than the cocci will, IMHO...
Corid's been the standard med used w/ cats and dogs but they aren't goats....

I order DiMethox powder from Jeffers Supply, mix it w/ 3 c water, shake it well, and dose as I stated above. REPEAT every 21 days until it frosts, they will just keep shedding and picking it up.

Once the goat's older, he'll build up immunity to it. When they're little, they don't have the chance to.

Good luck w/ him!

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
please let us know how he does. We just lost a goat over the weekend with conditions that sound awfully familiar to yours, all boney, she never really grew or put weight on after we got her, and seemed rather weak and frail compared to our other goats. Please let us know how you make out. :fl

Rhondax6

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh man, it's all so much....... So Corid is a bad choice as treatment? I called every feed store within 50 miles and no one has it anyway. I'll call in the morning looking for DiMethox powder and start him right away. He's only 10 pounds, did I mention that? Is his bitty size a bad thing in fighthing this?

I can't thank you all enough for your help.

Rhondax6

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
nightshade said:
please let us know how he does. We just lost a goat over the weekend with conditions that sound awfully familiar to yours, all boney, she never really grew or put weight on after we got her, and seemed rather weak and frail compared to our other goats. Please let us know how you make out. :fl
That sounds just like Buckley :( The vet, who has goats herself, said it's easy to cure. Sigh.