Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had rabbits before, but it has been a long time since I've had more than one at a time. We got my buck, Thumper, three, almost four years ago and I got him a doe two months back, Blossom. I was told that she didn't take care of her litters. They had a litter of nice, healthy kits and Blossom was a wonderful mother. The babies ended up dying from theAlabama heat. Meanwhile, I had bought a doe, Elsa, who was supposed to be pregnant, but they weren't sure.
Well, she was DISGUSTING. I had no choice but to put her in a warm bath. I knew there was a chance she could go into labor, but there was a bigger chance of fly strike and infection or disease. Well, that night she did go into labor with 8 kits born almost a week premature. She lost all eight. We have since bread both does again. Blossom was a false pregnancy and then Elsa was three days past her due date. Well, on the third night, and early the fourth day (I had almost given up on her) she had three VERY large kits. Huge. These newborns are the size of week old babies with fur and whiskers. They are now two days old and seem to be doing great!! Elsa is also doing good and has developed a little bit of a cage aggression. This doesn't bother me because I admire the protectiveness in a doe who's kindled.

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've been having some problems with the heat, so I have been freezing water bottles and putting them in their cages.

I will post pictures of the breeders soon. Here's the babies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 212

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Their father, Thumper, is half Lion head and halfDutch. I have no clue what the mother is....

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is mom, Elsa. A close up to see the colors on her ears, but didn't turn out the way I planned

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 240

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Elsa. I will eventually post a pic that shows all of her unique colors. Her white had a soft golden overlay and the tan on her ears fades into grey. Her big pink eyes have very light blue around the pupils

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 231

Kaye

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thumper, the father. Sarabi is the pibble in the picture.... They were very interested in the shopvac. Will get a picture of his face

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 221

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So you think Thunper is a lionhead/ Dutch mix, but you don't know what the dam is?

DutchBunny03

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How much does the dam weigh? Her color and body type suggests part New Zealand White. Her markings are awesome, by the way.