Keeping Milk Fresh

Nathan Justice

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
For some reason, my milk is spoiling quicker than I believe it should be. I had some that was three days old and It smelled awful. What could cause this? Before it would last about 8 to 10 days but now it is ruining quicker.

Dage

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I know a lot of people who insist on bleaching anything that touches the milk after milking whether its the pail or the jar. I don´t know your process...and I´m not suggesting anything either! Also have friends who put the milk directly into the freezer after milking. That would surely keep your milk from going so fast. Really don´t know!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would suggest that you start with basics again. Make sure the bucket is clean, milk stone can build up on it over time and you may not even notice. It should be stainless steel, so clean it with an acid wash from TSC if you see any milk stone on it all at.

I don't know how many you are milking but you need to be done ASAP and get that milk filtered and chilled within 2 hours. You need to chill it fast, like put it in an ice bath in small jars or in the freezer for a little bit, but don't let it freeze. Makes sure your container are clean or course, again, no milk stone build up. You need it down to 45 in less than 2 hours.

And last but not least (and maybe first) make sure you goat(s) do not have low grade mastitis.

Give us some more details on how you milk if you need anymore ideas.