Keeping Predators away.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I currently have 6 ND out with my 15.2 hand horse. Their pasture is surrounded by the electric goat fence from premier one with part of it being the 2" electric tape..4 strands of it starting at about 4 " off the ground. The charger is a Cube and packs a wallop. My question is this..is that enough predator protection or is there something else you would suggest? At this point a guardian animal is not a possibility although I am thinking of possible adding a Llama. The permanent fencing plan is to use the 48" metal mesh and I am thinking that I should run a hot wire above the top and along the bottom on the outside to deter digging. Unfortunately, we won't be able to put in the permanent fencing for at least another month.
Do you think my horse would be a deterent? The predators of which I speak are coyotes, bobcats and bears. I am thinking the coyote is the biggest concern. I live in CT if that helps. I was told that there are some coyotes across town that have taken down a few deer so I am a bit nervous..but I hate to lock the goats in the barn nonstop as well.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts? I doubt that my horse would provide "protection" ,but I am much more interested in a deterrent lol. If they see a few NDs who are around a large, bay horse would that be enough for them to stay away? Oh, and they are inside an electrified 42" goat fence.

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts? I doubt that my horse would provide "protection" ,but I am much more interested in a deterrent lol. If they see a few NDs who are around a large, bay horse would that be enough for them to stay away? Oh, and they are inside an electrified 42" goat fence.
That 42" electrified fence is just a small bump in the road for all of the predators mentioned. Also look overhead, hawks and eagles will just fly in and help themselves to lunch. Your horse may or may not be a deterrent , depending on individual. My stallion would kill, maim and destroy any predator out there, while the open mares out in pasture can have coyotes trot around them with not a single head lifted from the grass. If they have foals at side , then it is a different story. Same with the lama, as I have seen both ways.

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I know you said guardian animals are not a possibility but if it were me, I would be seriously looking at LGD's (actually I AM seriously looking at LGD's). I will sleep much better at night when I have mature, trained LGD's on the job.

A month after we got our first lambs, coyotes did get into our very well-fenced pasture and killed one of them. The emotional toll it takes to lose an animal is difficult to measure.

One predator you didn't mention is domestic dogs, but they are sometimes just as big a threat as the wild animals. While my predator was coyote(s), a nearby acquaintance had his neighbor's 3 Rottweilers get into his pasture while he was at work one day and kill or maim almost his entire flock of mostly adult sheep, along with the few lambs that were at foot at the time. While losing my lamb to coyotes was hard, I knew the coyotes were just hungry and trying to survive, like everyone else. But in the case of the dog attack, they did it purely for the sport - that would be far harder to take.

I don't believe a horse will be much protection. We frequently flush out coyotes while riding our horses and the horses almost do not react to them, not seeing them as a threat.

I've looked into other guard animals like donkeys, alpacas and llamas. While I know many people keep them and find them successful at predator control, I can't help thinking that is relying on a prey animal to protect other prey animals. If the predator were a domestic dog or coyote, perhaps they would be effective. However I suspect that if it were a bobcat, mountain lion or bear, a llama will not be able to keep your ND's safe.

Is there a reason you cannot keep LGD's?

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have a small hobby farm and have about an acre and a half currently fenced with the electric web. I already have 2 dogs and young children and I don't know enough about guardian dogs. We also frequently have lots of children and friends visiting and I don't want to be concerned with a dog going after anyone when they are visiting. I don't think my setup is really good for a LGD. I know the dogs won't get in. Ours have been hit by the fence and I have a difficult neighbor who sometimes let her German Shepherds wander. The fence stopped them. We do lock everyone in at night, though. What kind of fencing would be best?

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The neighbor's dog is probably well fed and that jolt isn't worth the meal. Nothing stops a bear short of a dog (black bear that is). Bobcats are a very awesome beast in the predator world. They will climb roost trees and grab crows at night. They also can jump and be very crafty. Coyotes are far from the dummies portrayed in Willie and Roadrunner cartoons especially if it is cold and they pack together. Point being, a meal is worth the sting to get it. The bears probably will walk right past your stock to get to your feed bins (they love sweet feed). Your best bet is an LGD.

All that said, you can try motion sensor lights and sirens. Those will scare off owls, coyotes, and cats...until they get used to it. Noise works well with bears.

There are bear boards, trip flare/flash bangs, and of course firearms. But if you are not in a true rural area these may not be options. I personally would never use bear boards unless I were in grizzly country or the black bears were actually hunting the livestock. Be aware that local fish and wildlife laws differ from state to state so they may not even be legal there and with small kids running around, not a good idea.

Tapsmom

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am in a suburban/semirural area in CT. There are lots of species in the area for the predators to feast upon besides my stock and many small farms along our street. I've had goats and chickens for 3 years so far with no trouble yet..I would just like to keep it that way. According to a few of my neighbors (one being right next door) there is a bobcat who makes his afternoon route across the overgrown field next to our yard. I have never seen him in our yard. I am also looking into game cameras to see what is coming into the area. The people on our street who free range their chickens have to replace them yearly..ours are not free range.(well at least what I would consider true "free range" lol) They have a large coop and a much larger fenced in area with a mesh top to keep them safe. I'll try to post a picture of our setup once I can get my phone to cooperate :)

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Perhaps the bobcat is well fed on your neighbors' free ranged birds. Lol. If you haven't had problems in that long you are either lucky or have a pretty good defense going.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My mule patrols the pasture and keeps everything away from her herd of goats. I'd almost dare a coyote to push his luck and try to get on her side of the fence! Unless you have an overprotective mule, I'd suggest that you use pee. I keep a 5 gallon bucket out in the barn and it gets poured around the borders of my gardens and fields in the summer to keep deer away. I also pour some near my goats when they kid to deter coyotes. I have been doing this for years and even though pee isn't something that everyone likes to talk about or use, it really does work. Being a cheap option doesn't hurt either. :)

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We tried urine and hair swept up from a barber shop to keep deer out of dad's garden...never worked. Then last year he hung hunks of Irish Spring soap from strings in the garden...no deer. :rolleyes: