Kiko Goats

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We had a kiko crossed with a boer and were not too impressed with how she turned out but that was just her. In looking at others goats, Kikos can be a good choice if you are wanting hardiness and if you spend the time and $ to get good stock, it would probably be a good choice for producing meat.

Alastrina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hardiness is important since I am trying to keep maintenance as low as possible, and I don't think people should get animals if they're unwilling to invest in quality stock. :p Why weren't you impressed with her?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually @jodief100 is the one to talk to! She has done the buck tests for years and has always had some of the best bucks- every year! NOW that is an accomplishment!
We only have a few now. So far though our experience with them has been great. Never have parasite issues.
I will say there has been a real surge in Kikos here and not all are very good. Some are so small and scrawny and look awful. I was asked to do an assessment on a small herd (basic assessment) and UGH! Hooves were awful. very wormy as determined by actual FAMACHA, and there was plenty of rocky ground and land. BUT as true to Kiko's the kids were growing like crazy on the dam. These goats were forage only!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tagged her so she will be able to give you great advice! :)
I do alot with dairy goats and homestead goats.
This year we took one of our Kiko does and bred her to a Lamancha Buck. We will put the offspring in the freezer... our goal is to see how well she milks and for how long. She has a great udder and our experiment is to see how durable a dual purpose goat she can be. Milk and Meat. If she has a doe we will keep the doe and continue with another generation.
We have had a great many request for this "experiment".
Already have the goats- why not?:)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Really it was probably a result of her bad beginning. She was basically a rescue as her mom had gangrened mastitis and her brother had starved to death. We vetted her, bottle fed and all that but she was always smallish and not a nice shape. Looked more dairy than meat.

Alastrina

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pearce Pastures- Aw. :( I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got her though before she starved too.

Southern by Choice- Thanks for the information! And good luck with your experiment. :)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i have had pure kiko does that were bred to a kiko/boer cross buck and i really liked them. kids grew like crazy and moms took really good care of them. good parasite resistance, good feet and legs and the kids were up and nursing so fast. also bred him to some dairy does and the kids grew out nicely. i would go with savanna goats if i was going to go with meat goats again. they seem to have the vigor of the kiko but the meatier body of a boer. the gentleman i got my katahdin sheep from also raises the savannas and i was really impressed with them

Latest posts