Lamb needs help ASAP!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Last week our ewe had her first lamb, and everyone was overjoyed. We realized something was wrong on tuesday so we brough him to the vet. He got antibiotics, and a selenium shot. He was seemingly getting better, but then when we came to the barn he hadnt eaten, and he was panting VERY hard. He was also drooling at the mouth. I dont know whats wrong! Anyone have an idea :\

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This looks like this is what it could be. He also hangs his head low alot, but that might just be he is sniffing the ground.

image.jpg

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poppy went down about 5 minutes ago. I got him back up but he was just laying on his side eyes closed.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think he is overheated.. But it isnt hot :(

image.jpg

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you got a call in to the vet?

Do you have a thermometer to be able to take his temperature? Are his gums red, pink or pale? Does he seem dehydrated?

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs I don't know...wish I could help! Taking his temp can give you a good starting point...was thinking the same thing as norseofcourse....if you don't have a sheep thermometer, you can use a human one. Hope he'll be okay and so sorry this is happening.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like the little guy has an elevated temp.

I have more baby goats get pneumonia during the heat of summer than in the winter. I hope that's not what you're dealing with. Try to get a temp on him and if it is elevated try to get some antibiotic into him. If he's not nursing, can you get him to take some electrolytes?

I sure hope he gets better!

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like the other have said, take his temp!

I know he had antibiotics the other day, have you given him any after the vet gave it? I am wondering if they are dealing with some of the same issues and now its progressing.

Last edited:

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with the others about taking his temp.

It is very typical for an animal to get better after a shot of antibiotics and then to get worse a day or 2 later. Most antibiotics are once a day or every other day shots for a certain number of shots or doses. I generally give antibiotics 3-5 days/doses, but some illness require longer treatments. I don't think that I would ever do less than three doses.