Limping 2-Week Old Lamb

Josephine Parkinson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a limping 2-Week old suffolk ewe lamb. None of her hooves are hot and there are no swellings on her legs. I'm new to both sheep and BYH (though I am WildWyandott110 on BYC). Any advice? I'm REALLY worried.... She and another lamb I keep for company are both bottle babies and have decent shelter and are fed 350 ml X3 daily. She was perfectly fine 3 hours beforehand. (I.E She was frolicking with the other lamb, Hope, Drinking milk, Chasing our chickens ETC.) She was SLIGHTLY overfed two days beforehand as was Hope. Hope is fine though. (Hope is one week old.)

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, sorry your lamb is limping. Is she still eating well? Have you taken her temperature? Do you know if she got colostrum her first day?

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Josephine. I very much agree with what has been said before. Injury is probably no 1, but joint ill due to infection travelling along the umbilical cord is the real worry, as suggested by norseofcourse. if it is joint ill,several hot joints is the norm and the lamb is feverish and generally unwell. If she is taking her feeds, joint ill is very unlikely.

I hope your baby recovers soon.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Josephine Parkinson and welcome to BYH. :frow Glad you joined us! Sorry you're having a problem with your lamb :( I don't think the over feeding would lead to a limp. I hope it's nothing serious and that she's just a little sore from rough playing and heals up fine. Please let us know how it turns out.

Josephine Parkinson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Were they outside where she could of gotten a leg stuck or landed the wrong way and injured herself?
Navel Ill is also possible, and you don't want that.
She might have injured herself while frolicking with her companion lamb.

Josephine Parkinson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome from Ohio, sorry your lamb is limping. Is she still eating well? Have you taken her temperature? Do you know if she got colostrum her first day?
Thanks for your welcome! My lamb is drinking her bottles enthusiastically, and she has a normal temperature. Her previous owner gave her colostrum on her first day, so that's good.

Josephine Parkinson

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Josephine. I very much agree with what has been said before. Injury is probably no 1, but joint ill due to infection travelling along the umbilical cord is the real worry, as suggested by norseofcourse. if it is joint ill,several hot joints is the norm and the lamb is feverish and generally unwell. If she is taking her feeds, joint ill is very unlikely.

I hope your baby recovers soon.
Thanks so much, Sheepshape!