linebreeding/inbreeding

denimangle

Just born
Reaction score
we are just getting into dairy goats & have decided to go with mininubies . we bought a few goats this past few weeks 3 from the same farm (nothing fancy no papers) but know that they milk & have a clean herd .. we thought the 3 were cousins but come to find they are 1/2 brother & sisters.. is this to close to breed?
thanks
Cheryl

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have mini nubians and I would not.
In a pinch could you? Yes
Genetics of both good and bad will come through.
Many do this but IMO if you are not knowledgeable about their genetics than you are taking a pretty big risk.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @denimangle :frow Took you a bit to jump in... (like SEVEN YEARS! :ep) but glad you finally joined in! :D :clap Congrats on getting your goats! If you'd be willing, we'd all love to see some pics. Not much better than pics of folks animals to look at. Hope you'll stick around as we have a really great group of active goat folks here. Anyway, make yourself at home!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am one of those that would do it, but only for one generation. I would make sure that any kids born are bred to a totally unrelated goat. It also would depend on how closely related the dam and sires of the kids you bought are.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What are you breeding for? To freshen your does? If you're simply breeding to freshen your does and perhaps sell or process the kids, just be sure to disclose the close relationship of the parents if you sell the kids. I'm not a fan of breeding such close relations. A great program exists to finding the Coefficient of Inbreeding (COI) it's called Animal Breeder and it's free for the first 100 inputs to the database, thereafter, it's a lifetime cost of $25AUS. I know you said they weren't papered but it is a good tool, nonetheless.

Latest posts