Lumps on goats skin (pics included)? Ideas and advice needed

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
These lumps are not very big and are on the side/shoulder area. Many of them are not noticeable unless you feel her skin. I have been researching it but I can not pin down what it might me. Abscess (though that is usually on the neck area), mange, CL? Those are the only ideas I could come up with though I am hoping it is not so serious.

Here are some photos to give someone an idea of what it might be. Also, if you are pretty sure you know what it is I would love some advice on treatment. :)

P1030997.jpg

P1030996.jpg

P1030995.jpg

Also, I am concerned about Jolie Fille's weight. She is in milk and getting grain in the morning and evening, yet she looks skinny to me. What do you think? Should I be concerned?

P1030999.jpg

P1040001.jpg

P1040002.jpg

One more quick thing. :/ When I first got Jolie her udder was pink, but now it looks black and dry. I haven't started milking yet because the kids are only four weeks old. I am going to put udder balm on her in hopes that it is just dry from the kids nursing. sorry i didn't get pics of her udder.
Thanks guys. It is great to have this supportive community when one is stumped. :)

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She is not acting outwardly sick. She is alert and curious with a healthy appetite.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
What kind of hay are you feeding and is it free choice? She doesn't look bad to me. Also how much grain are you feeding her? I'm not sure about the udder changing color or the lumps. I'm sure someone else will come on and have some answers.

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am feeding Timothy grass and it is free choice. :D and she is getting about a pound and a half of grain the morning and evening. Like, a coffee can and a half of grain.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Throwing a dart out here....are the lumps/abcesses where injections were given?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Odd time of the year for fly bots, but if it was summer that would be my guess.

She looks thin to me, but I have meat goats, so i am not a good judge of dairy goats,

I would offer her some alfalfa, I beleive alfalfa pellets are used alot by the dairy people. I don't think timothy hay is enough variety for her. And some free-choice goat minerals would do her wonders.

Is that one lump broken open with a scab on it?

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Given that Jolie Fille is in milk, I suggest adding the following to her diet:

Alfalfa hay-can be pelleted, mine prefer Lucerne Farm's Alfa Supreme {it is misted with molasses}(instead of the timothy- alfala has a higher protein count)

BOSS(Black Oil Sunflower Seed)

Beet pellets

Manna Pro

Free Choice Goat minerals (not the sheep & goat! It doesn't have enough copper for the goats)

Edited to add: Also, what grain are you feeding her? If it is DuMore, I suggest switching to Purina Noble Goat.

Now, about those lumps/bumps... I too am curious if they are injection sites.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If she were mine I would be trying to get some weight on her. It can be tough to keep them in good condition when they're in milk. Livinwright made good suggestions about adding the alfalfa, calf manna, etc. Especially with her getting so much grain I would REALLY emphasize the alfalfa- you want to maintain the correct calcium:phosphorous ratio. Adding all that grain without adding extra calcium can cause some major problems. Adding the alfalfa alone will go a long way in helping her maintain condition, but the calf manna and BOSS are a good idea.

Also, check the purina noble goat to be sure it's not medicated before feeding it to a doe who's milk you plan to consume.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Also, check the purina noble goat to be sure it's not medicated before feeding it to a doe who's milk you plan to consume.
Thank you for adding this! I completely spaced that there is a medicated version of the Noble Goat!

Lady Jane

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never given her a shot and I don't know for sure, but I don't think that the previous owner did either. At least not recently before I got her.
I have given her alfalfa before but I didn't buy it this week. Can I get BOSS at TSC? I have been wanting to add it to the goats diet but am not sure where to get it.
They are getting Golden Blend Goat minerals free choice. I was also giving baking soda but read on here that it is not necessary. There seems to be a split/mixed opinion on that. :lol:
I have been using Dumore sweet feed with 16% protein because I did not see an obvious difference in the ingredients listings so I thought that the added price to Purina was due to it being a name brand. :D

20kids: I don't know about the dark scab thing. That one isn't lumpy it's just rough dark skin with a white dot in the center as you can see. To be honest, she's got me quite befuddled. :) good question.

Latest posts