Lyme Disease On The Rise

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I always thought it would never happen to me, but yesterday, my Newfie was diagnosed with Lymes.
In spite of my best intentions for prevention with appropriate product, it still happened.
I first noticed a lethargy with her and then a favoring of her front leg. When I groomed her last week, I did pull several ticks off of her, but that has been routine because of living in the woods and having
many white tailed deer.
I called the vet and was seen quickly. Her blood titer showed a positive read for Lymes, but it was low...thank goodness. They said it was because of early diagnosis.
She is on Minocycline and will be for 30 days.
I would encourage everyone to be on the look out for ticks and possible symptoms. The earlier it's detected, the quicker the healing.
Vet also said that as early as we are in the year, they have seen more Lyme cases this year than in past years.

Squirrelgirl88

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My vet started offering a vaccine for Lyme disease this year. We vaccinated our pup right away. If only humans had a vaccine available. We also use topical treatment to deter the things in the first place.

Prairie Farm Woman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Many years ago (15 to 20 maybe) we lost our wonderful farm dog to what we now know was Lymes. She would spend the day with the sheep herd out in the pasture and return when we returned from working in town.
Glad you found this out early. Bad times when you don't.

Latest posts