Male alpaca with bladder infection? Or Uti?

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all.

Our little fella isn't doing well. Seems a bit down-you know how you just know something's not right? He's been eating and drinking like a trooper but we recently had him sheered and he hasn't left his little 'lean to' building much since then. We thought maybe he was just adjusting to being a bit cold now. I just went out to check on him and he was happy enough to great me by coming out and having a pee.

Only it didn't go well. :(
It took forever for him to be able to go, and then when he did it was intermittent (is that spelled right). I'm thinking a call to the vet is most definitely in order but also wanted to talk to all of you folks here too, sometimes I think you know more than the vet does.... ;)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, it does sound like a bladder infection or UTI or could even be stones. I would think antibiotics are definitely in order. If the vet is livestock and especially camelid savvy, then that would be very good. I would get the vet out for that. I would also put him on Sulcrafate for ulcers since he went through the stress of shearing and was so upset about it. The Sulcrafate is usually dosed at 1 tablet per 50 lbs dissolved in water and given twice a day for at least 14 days. It has been a very long time since I have seen a bladder infection in an alpaca so I'm not sure on which antibiotic would be best but I bet a vet would know. Good luck with your alpaca.

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! Taking it all on board. Waiting to hear back from the vet.
The only antibiotics I have on hand right now are durvet penicillin injectable that I use on the horses.

Anybody have any thoughts on homeopathic/herbal treatments? I know when I have a uti I hit the cranberry juice HARD and that always helps. Anything herbal I can do for the little guy in the meantime?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm not an herbal person. I use it a little but not enough to give any type of advice. I would go to Fir Meadow website and see what you can find there.

Latest posts