Male rabbit with swollen, hard testicles + other q's

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm hoping to not make this too long. I'm new to rabbits, my husband is not (4-H'er, grew up with all sorts of critters). We'd been considering getting meat rabbits for a while, and had decided last month to go ahead. We have two hutches, were looking online to see if anything came available.

A local who had dutches had advertised his for a steal ($65, plus two hutches & two cages, Bottles, etc). The ad was posted late at night and my husband responded early in the morning before I awoke, and went and brought them home.

I'm not 100% sure I would have purchased them, two don't look like belted dutches at all to me, and one of the girls is dreadfully thin, missing fur all over. They are clean of mites, ticks, and have healthy appetites and are mostly friendly, but skittish in their new environment.

I misunderstood the hubby and when setting them up in their temporary new digs (transferring them to our larger hutches so I can make repairs to the ones they came with) I accidentally put the two males together. In quick time, a fight ensued. I'd never actually SEEN a ball of fur roll around before. I separated them, and one looked untouched, the other had blood on his.....wee-wee. I kept an eye on the "bitten" one and he seems fine. That was Saturday. Fast forward to late Monday, and I'm trying to spend 30 minutes 3x a day to get them used to me, and handling them once a day. I'm looking over the unharmed Buck, and it looks like he has hard ridges on his very swollen testes( one was pink and softer initially). They are extremely hard and wrinkly to the touch, and look discolored. I showed my husband and he said it looked to him like it was an old injury. I put pulvex on it and returned him. As of yesterday evening, it looks worse (both testes are hard now).

I feel badly, he has a sweet disposition and I know I'm scaring the heck out of him when I put the pulvex on his (probably hurting) testes. After a couple of moments in my arms, he just lays on his back and will let me do it. (that or I've been suckered into pleasuring rabbits now)

We're only looking for meat rabbits here, not pets, so I'd prefer not to have to take him to the vet. It'd be a different situation if I knew him as a proven breeder. But, I have two males and only need one. Can I treat with antibiotics or is it a lost cause? Even if I save him, will he "shoot blanks"? Is it possible he's suffering and I'm not seeing it? In that case, I'd like to put him down. I'm assuming that if he does have an infection, I should discard him and not feed him to the dogs or myself, etc.

Also, the one unhealthy-looking girl has a bad temperament, and a scratcher. Reformable? Or not worth it.

Thanks for any help/advice. It's appreciated.

-Summer

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Please, any thoughts? I've googled everything I can think of and can't find any references at all.

~Wind~

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Because he is for meat purposes I think you have a few options. 1. Cull him as you really only need one male when starting out. 2. Take him to the vet for an assesment (not a great option money wise for meaties) 3. Continue to monitor him... Not being able to see him in person its hard to say whats going on. Could be a number of things... Infection/Abscess due to the fight/bite... Edema, If he is sore the swelling could spread from lack of movement...

As far as how it would affect his fertility, if it was only one testicle the odds would be better, but if it were me I would probably cull him from my breeding program unless he was an amaizing pedigree rabbit whose bloodlines were criticle to your breeding program

I'm not a vet or anything just kind of thinking out loud.

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you, Wind. I really appreciate your input.

It's funny, I don't have much of an issue killing animals when their purpose is for food, or putting an animal out of it's misery. But OH, the guilt when I know it's my fault because of my mistake. :(

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sommrluv said:
Thank you, Wind. I really appreciate your input.

It's funny, I don't have much of an issue killing animals when their purpose is for food, or putting an animal out of it's misery. But OH, the guilt when I know it's my fault because of my mistake. :(
I think anyone who seriously raises animals for any reason feels that way. When it's our fault that an animals gets hurt, that's the WORSE feeling in the World. :(

Hope all turns out for the best for you! :)

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Of course, now DH sees how nice he is and is suggesting we keep him and treat him, as a pet. Something like a "chicken mascot", since the chickens seem to like him.

DH isn't one to feed non "working" animals. Unless you count our three dogs, of course. LOL

I'll keep giving him vitamins and the other little rabbit remedy stuff I picked up, salving him up, and see if it makes any difference. He's eating, drinking, playing.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sommrluv said:
Of course, now DH sees how nice he is and is suggesting we keep him and treat him, as a pet. Something like a "chicken mascot", since the chickens seem to like him.

DH isn't one to feed non "working" animals. Unless you count our three dogs, of course. LOL

I'll keep giving him vitamins and the other little rabbit remedy stuff I picked up, salving him up, and see if it makes any difference. He's eating, drinking, playing.
Chicken Mascot? Good to hear he doesn't upset the chickens. Upset chickens means NO EGGS! So I guess DH has to feed this rabbit since he is working being the "Chicken Mascot". :lol:

Takes a while to get to know any animal. Also glad to hear he's eating, drinking and playing! :)

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think he's doing worse. He's stopped playing and just sits in the corner. I gave him a day off yesterday from the salve (it was also POURING) no way would I have been able to do it without getting him soaked. The three times I went out yesterday he just looked sad. He was bopping about a bit, though.

I picked up him today and he actually CROSSED his little legs so I wouldn't touch him. It's much more yellow & red now, it looks like there is possibly puss under the surface. :(

Any info on humane rabbit euthanization? Is there anything I can just feed him so he won't be stressed?

Sommrluv

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the answers, we put him down yesterday because he started to show obvious signs of pain.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Sommrluv said:
Thank you for the answers, we put him down yesterday because he started to show obvious signs of pain.
My condolences for your loss. :( But I think you did the right thing. I would have done the same thing.

How are the rest of your rabbits doing?