manure/urine managment

David

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
so im looking for ideas on better manure management . If it smells you're doing it wrong has been my motto with my poultry and outside guinea pigs . However ive been failing at every attempt with the rabbits and have created a septic system that isent working as hoped . The system is cheap made out of scavanged materials mostly, feed bags at slants under the cages that drain into rubbermaids that empty every morring into a large garbage can with wood and holes in the bottom , but it still smells of amonia .

so what do you guys do to reduce the amonia smell ?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
The best system I've seen is an outdoor rabbitry, a chain link dog kennel with heavy plastic on all four sides and a metal roof system with plenty of ventilation. There was thick pine shavings and pelletized horse bedding piled beneath the stacks of cages, which was completely changed every few weeks. There was no wood anywhere near the cages, as wood can soak up urine and harbor ammonia fumes and bacteria. The metal cages were suspended and only double tiered. There were only 14-20 rabbits at a time in cages in the 10x10 space. As much as possible was made from metal. Water dishes were not allowed to spill and create damp bedding as they were bolted through the cage wire. Cages were quickly wiped with a handful of hay daily, briefly cleaned once a week, and were scrubbed down about once a month. This was the cleanest setup I'd ever seen and it was certainly not mine... but I can say that they had ZERO odors, and definitely no ammonia fumes.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Many years ago I raised show rabbits. I showed, sold to 4-H and FFA kids and sold the culls as fryers. At any given time, I had as many as 300. They were in a pole barn, with only the north side enclosed. The other sides were covered in wire and in the winter, wrapped in plastic with enough left unwrapped for ventilation. All were in hanging wire cages, single stacked. Urine and droppings fell through the wire to the ground.

Attached to the rabbit barn were the grounds keepers quarters. Chickens. Yup, chickens. The chickens had a roost and nesting boxes. They roamed the rabbit barn, scratching under the cages, eating dropped feed, fly larva and other bugs. The chickens kept the manure turned, kept the flies down and there was no smell. I dug out the manure as needed for the garden or invited friends to bring their truck and load up.

Yes, sometimes the rabbits had ear mites, probably from the chickens. I did a once a month mineral oil in the ears of every single rabbit as a preventative and that took care of it. And yes, the hens had to be taught not to roost on the rabbit cages at night. I had a door so I could close off the roost until they got the idea.

Sounds to me that you are working too hard at this. Not to be a smart alec, but get a couple of hens, enclose the rabbits and let the hens do the work for you. Then you get eggs! Are your cages double stacked? If so, space permitting, unstack those babies and let the chickens take over!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baymule, I think the combination of chickens and open air is the key! We have chickens beneath our cages, but everything is in an old closed-up barn which stays stuffy no matter how many holes I cut in the walls.

And a trick about stacked cages: don't use trays on the upper layer. Instead, use a flat piece of sheet metal that clips to the bottom of the top cage and that slants at a slight angle. That way, manure and urine slide to the ground and not onto the rabbit below, but there are also no nasty trays to clean out. And the sheet metal harbors no smell or bacteria, and rarely needs to be cleaned.

David

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would put my chickens under them but my chicken run/coop is uprooted and totaly moved every 3 months then a cover crop or garden is planted in its place where as my rabbits arent very moveable
none are stacked all on stands side by side other then the huge growout pen thats made of wood "was payment for watching a farm for 2 weeks" so if wood is a problem then that may be whats going on
how well do rabbits do on a deep litter system ? I have a large tractor I could put them in

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wood framed cages soak up urine. And rabbits ALWAYS go in the corner, where the poop won't fall through. :he What about putting a few of your girls in with the rabbits? It would be worth it for all the work they would do for you!

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I had rabbits they were suspended and I kept a nice layer of hay/straw under their pen. I replaced the hay/straw once a week and tossed it on the compost heap. I never had much trouble with odor at all and I'd always find the best worms to fish with under those pens!

David

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
problem with the straw method is its so wet here we get an average of 48 incs a year and they arent under a uniform roof each cage is roofed on its own "feed bags stapled to boards draped over the top so it covers 3 sides and the top" so the straw would be a soaked mess in no time , partly why im moving towards ducks they handle the weather better

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
David, I find that household vinegar works wonders in removing odors from my rabbit housing. I have two layers of cages suspended over slant boards so everything flows to the back and down into a large plastic container. The slant boards get hosed down daily and all the flushed piddle and berries gets tossed into various gardens. I add a splash of vinegar to the slant boards that are at the far end of the collection point and let the vinegar run through the system to the collection container. Not only does it neutralize odor but it also helps with the calcium buildup.

Wooden cages are a problem as they do absorb the urine. Maybe you could splash vinegar in the corners? Vinegar won't hurt your rabbits and the vinegar smell does not linger.

Just a thought.

David

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I love vinegar and use it for everything but I never once thought about that since I dont use with my other animals to prevent killing the good bacteria "everyone is on living compost/deep litter" but the rabbits and with my ashtma the amonia of the rabbits is a problem for me

i'll buy a rabbit only spray bottle and vinegar thank you very much