Milk Crate hay feeders

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do and of you all use milk crates for hay feeders? we have a few extra laying around and want to put them to use. DH says we need to cut some bigger holes in them...im not sure. anyone have pics of their milk crate hay feeders they can post? TIA! you all have been very helpful!!!!

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
We do use them in a pinch when we have to move a goat into a separate pen, and at fair. I bungie cord them to the wall. They still mess it up and it is a huge waste of hay. @OneFineAcre used rubbermaid containers with a hole in the side, and laundry baskets.

Are you looking for permanent use or temporary?

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We do use them in a pinch when we have to move a goat into a separate pen, and at fair. I bungie cord them to the wall. They still mess it up and it is a huge waste of hay. @OneFineAcre used rubbermaid containers with a hole in the side, and laundry baskets.

Are you looking for permanent use or temporary?

I am looking for something permanent/semi-permanent....by that I mean I do not mind replacing it every so often. Right now I just have a small Rubbermaid container on the ground with the lid off inside their shelter (which is an aluminum shed). I have seen some pretty nifty DIY feed/water/hay stations but I need something on a much smaller scale as they are "urban goats" and we have to try and maximize our space where we can. They have a 12x28 foot enclosure (2 ND wethers) where we keep them when we cannot supervise them and this is where their house/food is kept.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
hayfeeder.jpg
hayfeeder2.jpg
hayfeeder3.jpg

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
see I want something I can move-since i plan to rearrange the goats area once we get every we need built, built. I have seen the pallet feeders which is similar to what you have here but on a slightly smaller scale. I know what I want, I can picture it all in my head....but trying to verbalize/put it together is where I have the trouble LOL.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've used milk crates pretty long term with sheep and goats, we let them both get their heads in the top and eat through the little holes. They do make a mess but not as much of a mess as if we were feeding on the ground ;) We tie them or bolt them to the wall.

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@mysunwolf , you didn't need to make the holes on the side any larger since they could reach in the top I am assuming :)

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
@mysunwolf , you didn't need to make the holes on the side any larger since they could reach in the top I am assuming :)

Yep, I like the easy way! We have also taken livestock panels and cut them up to make very small versions of what @Pearce Pastures built. Same story, have a 2'x2' square of panel, secure the bottom to the wall, tie the top a little looser, stuff hay in it. We have used all sorts of things for hay feeders in a pinch, including rubber totes that are screwed into the wall (no dumping upside down and climbing on, as goats like to do).

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find pictures the ones we made from Rubbermaid totes
We cut holes in the side big enough for their head and leave the lid on
We also screws two pieces of 2x4 to the bottom so they can't turn them over
We've used these for a long time and they hold up pretty well