Milk sheep?

ENSJ

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1. Do you or have you ever kept sheep for milk? What was your experience?
2. What supplements would they need in addition to high-quality grass
3. What is the care level compared to horses and goats
4. What would the yearly cost look like

1. Not yet. I know people who do keep dairy herds.

2. They need minerals, (though take care not go give coppers. Goats need it, but its toxic to sheep in the amounts you need for goats.). Hay and silage is necessary next to grass and it's recommend to feed oats and grains to your lactating sheep as they require a lot more feed during that period. Orchardgrass hay is often picked for dairy sheep. Alfalfa pellets, oats and beet pulp can be added to the grain you feed to give richer milk.

3. They are pretty similar to goats in that they need shelter. Unlike goats most sheep (especially the ones with wool) tend to do well in wet conditions. Three sided shelters are often enough, but people who milk their sheep often also have a barn to have some lambing pens and a milk room.
You have three options when it comes to milking them. You either wait 36 hours to then remove the lamb completely and keep all the milk for yourself. You can then bottle feed the lambs or sell them as bottle lambs.
Another option is to wait for 30 days (no milking), then removing the lamb and milk exclusively. You won't get more milk and the lamb's growth will be slower but it's less work.
The third and my preferred option is to keep the lamb on the ewe. After 30 days separate at night, milk in the morning, then allow the lamb back with the mother. Cuts down on time needed to milk and will ensure a better growth on the lamb.

4. Upfront costs would be high, good quality dairy sheep can be costly to purchase (300-700 per sheep, depending on breed and location). It's also easier to have a stanchion for milking (you can build one yourself or purchase a ready made one). Depending on where you can get your hay and grains from that can also be high. If you have room to grow some of your own feed that helps (the beets for example and if you have enough pasture that you can use a section to grow some supplemental hay that'd be good as well).
Good pasture management is needed to prevent parasite build-up, so rotate a lot and don't let them eat the grass too short. (Unlike cows who use their tongues to pull grasses, sheep use their lips so they graze a lot closer to the ground and thus are more likely to ingest more parasites).
Medical care wise: Sheep need CDT vaccines when they are lambs. It is recommended to give a booster to ewes to give passive immunity to their lambs. Deworming is needed, though some treatments affect the milk. Mastitis can occur so you best have supplies for that on hand.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much property do you have to graze your sheep? The cost will be figured on number and amount you have to feed to supplement any pasture, as well as winter feeding.

Upfront costs would be high, good quality dairy sheep can be costly to purchase (300-700 per sheep, depending on breed and location).
Your startup costs for dairy animals will be higher since you will need specific equipment for milking and milk storage. Since your family had dairy goats, if you kept the equipment you had for milking them you will be ahead of the game. Otherwise, you will need to build or purchase a stanchion, milk pail (stainless steel is the best), strainer, and filters. you can use large glass canning jars to chill and store the milk in the fridge.

Be sure to get good quality miking animals from a reputable breeder. Do Not buy any at the local sale yard since they will not necessarily be good milk producers. Also with a dairy animal it is better to pay more for a good animal that has been milked and is used to the stanchion and milking routine. Be sure to get milk records since you will need one with a longer lactation period. Not all sheep will stay in milk for a long period like other dairy animals do.

You should not just set your heart on a specific breed. Check which milk production purebred breed(s) are available within a certain mileage and ask if the breeder will take the ewe back to breed her when it is time. Otherwise, you will need to buy a ram. You can also breed your good milk production ewe to a meat buck to give you terminal cross lambs for the freezer. If you want to build a milk flock, you will need to decide if you want to concentrate on breeding registered animals. If so, you will want to have a source near you for rams and/or replacement ewes.

blessedfarmgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I raise katahdins for meat, not milk, but friends of mine in Michigan raise the same breed for both meat and milk. They get about a quart per ewe per day. They use a goat milk stand to milk them and they have told me the milk is delicious. I have tried milking my milkiest ewe, and it went badly since she was not trained to the stand, but the milk was sweet and good.
As for feed and minerals, I know several others have already given great answers, so I'll be brief.
Minerals are super important. We give loose minerals as well as extra selenium to pregnant ewes and rams during breeding season. We do not feed much grain, but we do give them all stock feed with alfalfa pellets a few times a week. They are mostly grass fed, and need minimal hay in the winter since we rotate them on saved up areas of dormant pasture before starting hay feeding. Dairy animals will probably need more extra feed, I give my goats alfalfa pellets, sunflower seeds and grain twice a day when I milk them.

As for their care compared to goats, which I also own, they are way easier to care for. They are not as picky, and I was able to train them to 3 hotwires that they all stay in, including the lambs. My goats are always trying to find a way to escape, my sheep almost never escape and are easy to work with. Care only takes a couple hours a week, we move them about once every 5-7 days to fresh pasture during grazing season which lasts from April to January here in East Texas.

The cost of raising sheep will depend on location, how many sheep you have, the quality of your pasture and many other variables. You might have good years and bad years. Emergencies and sickness can strike at any time. Parasites are a big thing to take into consideration, you will need a good plan to manage them. It would be really hard to place a number on how much raising sheep would cost. I know our fencing was the biggest cost on our farm, and the animals themselves the second biggest cost, but it all depends.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good strong fencing is the most important in any livestock keeping venture. The fences have to be tall enough to hold in the animals you plan to keep, and strong enough to withstand them pushing and rubbing on the posts and wire. The type of wire is different for different species too.

While fencing is really expensive, after 35 years of animal keeping, I would not try to keep livestock (or even dogs) without a strong tall enough fence. Shelter can be rigged up, but inadequate fencing is a nightmare.