Milk supply is dwindling

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What in the world would cause my two goats (alpine doe kidded in April and Nigerian/Nubian kidded in May) to drastically drop milk supply? 1/2 gallon a day down to like 1/2 cup!

We did have another doe give birth in August. Her babies are there with the others. Is there a chance they are causing the problem? This is a recent problem. We have been getting a decent amount of milk up until about a week ago.

My does get milked once a day. I just began milking twice when I noticed a drop in production. They graze in pasture, get hay and also sweet feed. Just added BOSS. We drink our milk and really rely on it. What can I do??

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I notice a definite drop in my does production when they are cycling - and this is the time of year for that. However, that seems like a huge drop. Is there any chance that they are being nursed?

Hope you find the problem!

Last edited:

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So we separated the babies yesterday. Today between two goats and two milkings 12 hours apart, we got 1 pint jar full of milk!

Not good. If the babies were feeding from them, wouldn't they be full of milk?

Is there anything else that could cause the drop in milk? I'm pretty sure my Nigerian/Nubian is pregnant. As for my Alpine (who is new to us), I think she went into heat a week ago. I had to separate our buck because I didn't want him breeding with her since she's registered. We have a planned stud for her for fall heat.

Is there anything I can get them to eat to help? I give BOSS. Any one know if alfalfa works?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, have there been any major changes in their routine? Stress can be detrimental to a milking doe and it almost sounds like they aren't 'letting down' for you.

Are they drinking enough water? They've gotta have water to make milk.

Have you had a fecal run?

My milkers get whole oats, steam rolled barley along with a handful of BOSS, another handful of Calf Manna to raise the protein level and some alfalfa in the form of Chaffhaye. I'm only milking once a day also and my girls do fine and give decent amounts of milk on that diet. They also have the run of about 4 acres during the day.

Hope you can find the cause - don't give up!

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have been told that there is a direct relationship between grain and milk. My girls get all the 16% grain they can eat during milking and then alfalfa. Alfalfa is the only hay I feed; milkers need that protein. When I want to dry them off I stop the grain, but never the alfalfa, they eat that year round.

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, have there been any major changes in their routine? Stress can be detrimental to a milking doe and it almost sounds like they aren't 'letting down' for you.

Are they drinking enough water? They've gotta have water to make milk.

Have you had a fecal run?

My milkers get whole oats, steam rolled barley along with a handful of BOSS, another handful of Calf Manna to raise the protein level and some alfalfa in the form of Chaffhaye. I'm only milking once a day also and my girls do fine and give decent amounts of milk on that diet. They also have the run of about 4 acres during the day.

Hope you can find the cause - don't give up!

I don't see why they'd be under any stress. They have water all the time. I make sure it's fresh. last year at this time, our saanen doe began to dry up and was completely dry by November.

They eat hay that we've made from our property. They get a sweet mix and also BOSS. They will not touch the alfalfa hay I bought them. Would I have better luck with pellets?

Our buck was sick last week with scours. But he was separated and treated with neomycin and pepto.

I have not run a fecal on anyone else. They all have been healthy and doing well. I'm wondering if I should.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats are not pellet lovers - hence the (mostly) "all grain" diet that I give them - along with their Chaffhaye. I give Chaffhaye because alfalfa is hard to come by in my part of the country and extremely pricey. Chaffhaye isn't cheap, but there's zero waste with it. But, I think any goat can learn to eat a pellet if that's their only choice. Standlee makes an alfalfa pellet that has a nice protein level. You might try it if nothing else is making a difference.

I'm with Babs that high protein should mean higher yields.

Have you had these goats very long? I've heard that goats who are accustomed to drying up after a couple months of nursing their kids are 'programmed' to dry up earlier than goats who have been milked through a longer lactation - but I have no facts to back that up.

Something you might try is milking them at least twice a day, maybe even three times to stimulate them to make more milk. Just a thought....kind of grasping at straws here now. :)

Good luck!

KleinsCoop

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats are not pellet lovers - hence the (mostly) "all grain" diet that I give them - along with their Chaffhaye. I give Chaffhaye because alfalfa is hard to come by in my part of the country and extremely pricey. Chaffhaye isn't cheap, but there's zero waste with it. But, I think any goat can learn to eat a pellet if that's their only choice. Standlee makes an alfalfa pellet that has a nice protein level. You might try it if nothing else is making a difference.

I'm with Babs that high protein should mean higher yields.

Have you had these goats very long? I've heard that goats who are accustomed to drying up after a couple months of nursing their kids are 'programmed' to dry up earlier than goats who have been milked through a longer lactation - but I have no facts to back that up.

Something you might try is milking them at least twice a day, maybe even three times to stimulate them to make more milk. Just a thought....kind of grasping at straws here now. :)

Good luck!

I've only had goats since May 2014. We have 4 girls and our buck. Plus the 6 week old twins. They are all 2nd/3rd freshening. And all in milk when I got them. Sassy, our alpine kidded in May and they kept her in milk for show. The owners before her said she gave 1/2 gallon a day...we never got that much. I'm just lost on what to do. We need the milk because we all drink it. Last winter, our saanen dried up by thanksgiving and she had kids last March.