Miller - Back to Work...Mostly

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some of you may remember a few years ago when we got our wonderful LGD, Miller. We got him from a rescue and although he had been given flea and tick treatment, he still brought home a lot of 'friends' with him. We took him to the vet first thing, and when they did the blood work up, he tested positive for two tick-born illnesses. What followed was a long several months of antibiotic treatments as well as seizure treatment meds, because the diseases had advanced to the point he was having multiple seizures a day. It was a rough go, but after 3-4 months, he was better and didn't need any medication.

Even sick he was a great LGD, but after he got better, he went on to be an AMAZING guardian. He's helped us train two pups into LGDs almost as amazing as he is. He's our sweet, gentle boy, the first dog my husband ever really liked (true story), and the goats adore him. Anyway, about 2-3 weeks ago, he started showing signs of being sick (laying around and being less responsive, eating less, etc.). When I took him into the vet, his platelet count was significantly down. They figured that he was having an Erhlichia flare-up due to his past history, so they put him on the necessary antibiotics to treat it, with the note that if he didn't show noticeable improvement, he needed to come in for another blood test, because it was likely something else.

He just finished his antibiotic, and he never really showed improvement, so we have an appointment with the vet tomorrow to see if we can figure out what's going on. Anyone ever had experience with this? I know one of the other top reasons for low platelet count in dogs is cancer, but I'm really hoping someone out there has other things they've heard of.

Sweetened

Herd Master
Reaction score
Im no help experience wise, but ask the vet if hecan be given black strap molasses in water to help build that blood up. I dont think it could hurt. Hoping all the very best for you.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, your assumptions are correct but there are other factors to also consider, try not to get too stressed it may not be that at all. I know... easier said than done. :hugs :hugs :hugs
Will be praying for Miller and your family.

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Miller took a turn - stopped drinking water :( - so we got him into the vet yesterday. The good news is his platelet count is back up, and the repeat blood test ruled out issues with liver, kidneys and a few other big things. The bad news is, he's obviously still sick, and they can't figure out what's going on. They are trying to target one thing at a time in order to narrow down what might be the issue. He's on a round of antibiotics now to target his stomach and digestive track, and we were able to get him to drink after we got back from the vet's office. The vet said if that's what going on, we should see a noticeable difference by tomorrow.

Today he was still very lethargic, but he did choose to go back in with goats tonight - a big win! :celebrate We are keeping our fingers crossed. The pictures below are Miller greeting a few of his girls when he went back into the goat yard.

039.jpg

036.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs

Glad to hear he is somewhat better and greeting his goats!
Are you giving him any probiotics?
I assume they have already checked for diabetes as well.

Latest posts