Mixing Minerals

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of my wethers just went through UC, and is now doing quite well. I did the course of 7 days with ammonium chloride and am now thinking about just adding it to the loose minerals I feed.

My understanding is the ratio is 1.5 lbs of the ammonium chloride to 25 lbs of loose minerals.

Two questions: how do I mix the two items (first person who says with a spoon will get frowned on harshly) and can I feed this new mixture to my does. I'm wondering why I would want to feed this to my does -- do does ever have UC?

25 lbs of loose minerals is not light weight. Would using the paddle attachment for an electric drill that you use to stir paint work?

Any thoughts? What do you do to prevent UC? I have been adding vinegar to everyone's drinking water, but I guess my little guy just wanted to be different.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
:idunnonot sure the best way to mix would be- it would be necessary to make sure both are mixed evenly throughout. I have seen the big stand mixers being used to mix feed.

Will be following to see what ideas others have!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
First you take a spoon... :lol: :lol: :lol:

SORRY- just couldn't resist. :hide Come on- laugh!:plbb

You definitely could try the paint mixer.:) Maybe mix in smalled batches, by kg or so. :hu
How much mineral do you put out? How much AC is recommended daily/per kg?
If it is a certain amount I'd be concerned they may not get what they need if mixed. I know with minerals they just go to it when they need it... what if they aren't "needing" mineral and aren't eating any and so they don't get the AC?

Yes, does can get UC but it is not all too common.

Not much help here I know, more questions and thoughts. I am curious how you work this out. Will be watching.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What are you feeding currently? (Hays, grains, pasture, minerals -- types and amounts)

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
i can see pouring the minerals and ac back and forth in buckets till you feel it is well mixed. or you could use a really big spoon....

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lord a duck! You folks!

Right now I'm feeding the bucks and all but 3 of the wethers a goat grower pellet from the local mill. The wether that came down with UC was one of the three boys born in May and was still living with the dry does. The dry does get a milking ration from the local mill. Everyone gets free access to loose minerals (Ragland Goat Builder Minerals which has copper and the calcium listed is 15% min and 17% max with the phosphorus min of 8%). I feed my milking does alfalfa and then collect the stems and feed the stems to the dry does and bucks along with coastal hay for everyone.

My DH has been cutting down extra trees, for firewood a year from now, so the goats have been getting a lot, I mean a lot, of Live Oak branches/leaves.

The goats are dry lotted as the darn cows get the rest of the world.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
What is the CA: P on the feed?

Manna Pro goat minerals already has AC in it, don't know the cost difference but you might want to consider using it :idunno I know you can put in in the water but I don't know if that would work for your setup or not. We get it at TSC.

Some goat feed already have the AC in it too. Bartlett and Noble goat have it. I know there are others but I can't remember the names right now :p

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for your patience folks; I'm not on every day. The feed for the bucks has Ammonium Chloride and Decoquinate; the min calcium is .75% with the max at 1.25% with min phosphorus of .35%. The feed for the milkers and everyone else, including the little wether that had the problem does not contain any medications; the listed calcium min is .75% with the max at 1.25% with min phosphorus of .40%.

So I can see why my pen o' bucks has had no problems and my little guy did -- the little guy didn't get the medicated feed. I was waiting until the three wethers in with the dry does got bigger before putting them in with the guys. Obviously I didn't do the three any favors.

So, maybe I just need to feed the dry does the same feed as the bucks and that may solve the problem... Also, I can still mix us the AC with the loose minerals and give the new mixture to everyone.

I don't know... I'm going back and forth about changing the feed for the dry does. Maybe it would be better not to change their feed rather than change the feed and then change it again when they freshen and go into the milking does pen. I think my head hurts and I should stop thinking about this and just mix up the AC and minerals and let it go at that.

Any opinions?

Latest posts