My Boer Goats have diarrhea???

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My 2 boys are now probably 6 months old. They recently have started having diarrhea. I've wormed them, and given them some electrolytes in their water.

They feed off the 1 acre of land and I give them a scoop of sweet feed a day. Their water is changed daily.

This is my first try at goats, and I want to be very successful. I've read up on everything.

I'm just wondering if there are any other tips or good advice out there to help me keep these boys happy and healthy.

One "Smoky" is the dominate male, he is much larger, fuller, and more muscular. The other "Bandit" is smaller, and almost looking as though he's failing to thrive. I've had them both since 3 months old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The first thing that comes to mind is cocci. If it is cocci you will want to treat asap as its devastatingly fast and lethal.
Also male goats are very prone to urinary stones. I lost a very nice buckling to stones last year. Since then I do not feed sweet feed to the boys. I use a feed that is geared for urinary health.

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've read the article you gave, thank you! I will start treating them today! What a scary thing. :fl

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Already called my husband and told him we're going to Tractor Supply as soon as I get off work to go get that Corid medication.

Now my goats are friendly, but they are not too fond of being held or restrained. Any tips on giving the goats this oral medication?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you get Di-methox? That is a better drug and you wont have thiamine issues that Corrid can cause. TSC doesn't carry it but other feed stores do. Where are you located?

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I spoke with a local large animal vet here (I'm in Roxboro, north Carolina). They recommend Corid w/ an injection of B1 to prevent the Polio. Also mentioned that I would not be able to visibly see eggs from this in their feces. So what I saw that looked like

I can run a fecal w/ their office as well...Vet told me that I could give the meds w/ out the fecal because it would not be harmful either way...

Sound ok?

Last edited:

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
For goat kids my vet suggests monthly treatment as a preventative.
I use di methox or sulmet.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I spoke with a local large animal vet here (I'm in Roxboro, north Carolina). They recommend Corid w/ an injection of B1 to prevent the Polio. Also mentioned that I would not be able to visibly see eggs from this in their feces. So what I saw that looked like

I can run a fecal w/ their office as well...Vet told me that I could give the meds w/ out the fecal because it would not be harmful either way...

Sound ok?
You can do it that way but I would get a fecal run now and then 5 days after treatment to see the reduction %. To many vets will say you don't need a follow-up fecal or its not the season for this or that... but for a few dollars why wouldn't you?

You may be dealing with some other parasite and NOT Cocci, you won't know until you run a fecal.