My First Rabbit Meal

Freezer_pets

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We just had our first family dinner of rabbit. Made a traditional hasenpfefer (rabbit stew) served over mashed taters. It was awesome.

I had previously roasted some legs and while tasty, they were pretty chewy. Slow cook was most tender. I think my next batch will be rabbit Colorado or rabbit verde in the slow cooker... Mmmm. Loving the tender bottle and the lean healthy protein.

We have a lot of people ask why we have so many rabbits. When i tell them, I usually get the light bulb, "oooohh" response. If they ate it, they'd understand.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had some people look at me as those I'm an axe murderess! They say "how could you do that? " I tell them "you eat meat, right? Where do you think it comes from? I can't afford to have non-productive animals around. " Some get it, some don't.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How many of y'all have tried cooking up the liver? I've started cooking it just recently, and it has become my favorite rabbit meal. Just mix salt, pepper, and flour in a bowl. Put in your liver and coat. Put your liver in a frying pan with hot oil and cover with sliced onions and crushed garlic... Fry them until they are nice and brown. It's fast, easy, and delicious! It makes a great meal the day you dispatch, while your rabbit is in the fridge resting.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you love beef, chicken, and pork liver, you will definitely love rabbit liver. From what I've read online, most people prefer the rabbit liver over the others. My mother used to make liver (beef) and onions for us when we were kids, and we loved it. I tried making it once for my family, and it didn't turn out as good. The rabbit liver is easy to make, and is wonderful. The first time I cooked it, I didn't add anything, just coated it with flour, salt and pepper. This last time I threw in the onions and crushed garlic and it was really good. It was great the first time too, but I do prefer it with the onions and garlic. I'm tickled pink because I can squeeze an extra meal out of my rabbits with the liver, making them even more cost effective.

happy acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's great! I have battled life long anemia, and when I was a small child, the doctor told my mother to feed me liver and dark leafy green veggies. Fortunately I loved them! Good to know that I can get liver from my buns as well! I'll definitely be trying this on my next dispatch day!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My daughter came over tonight and I cooked up the last bit of liver that I had in the fridge for her. It was the first time for her to try liver, other than the one failure I had when she was a child. It was a big hit tonight! She loved it! I'm so excited! I had been just throwing the liver out, so this is like getting free meat! :)

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
That sounds good, will have to try the rabbit livers next time we process. Growing up my mom made liver and bacon- using the bacon grease to cook the liver in.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ya'll will have to tell me what you think of it! I felt bad this last year throwing those big beautiful livers away. I mean, you have to admit, rabbits have some huge livers! Now that I realize that they are better than beef or chicken livers it really makes it a joy to be able to cook them up.

Another nice thing about the liver is it doesn't have to rest before cooking, so you can cook up the liver on dispatch day, and cook the rest of the rabbit the next night.

Last edited: