my goat is sick-newbie

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am a newbie to goats and currently i have only one which i bottlefed.i am not new to farm animals,just goats.i wanted to get some more next spring.
anyway,as i said,she is a pet goat,very spoiled.she is 7 months old.she lives with ours chickens and ducks(thanks to BYC) and she gets out daily to graze.we have seventy acres that we raise our horses on but they do not like her.
she has never been sick before,very happy and playful.we took her on a walk with us yesterday throughout our property,some pasture,woods and a creek.she followed everywhere and we all had fun.she ate whatever along the way and i think she got sick from that.this morning when i went out,she was laying down as usual but didn't get up when she saw me.she made a weak bah sound.i went in and stood her up.she is wobbly.her eyes are sunk in and she is very thirsty.i took her out into the sunshine(it is cool here).i went and got her some electrolyyes,minerals and probiotics.i managed to get all that down becuase of the drinking.she takes a puse with every breathe and moans if i move her.
please help with any questions.our vets around here no nothing about goats.she had to eat something because she has been perfect from the day she was born and then suddenly overnight this happens.

thanks everyone for there help and being so kind.as most of you know if you are on this sight how one little goat can make you fall in love with them

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she ate something toxic you should get some activated charcoal to give her
Even if the vets don't know goats they should know how to deal with an animal who has been poisoned

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yikes does not sound good. Any chance she got into something toxic like azalea or wild cherry? Is she bloated up? I would give some activated charcoal. I cannot remember what to give for gas for my life. If I think of it I will post again. You can get activated charcoal in capsules at walgreens or you can get a paste from TSC. Thats where I would start and I would do it pretty quick. Hopefully some others have more to add soon.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
First thing take her temp. 101-102 is the normal range. And then what OneFineAcre said.

Goats have a high metabolism and they go down fast so be quick with treatment

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
baking soda for bloat. Sorry my mind is slow today. I would try this first. With it coming so quickly I would think it has to be she got into something toxic for her.

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
thanks guys,
her temp is 103.3
we do have wild cherry along with who knows what else.she couldn't have ate uch becuase we were constantly moving but there is everything down by the creek.we live in ga so you know if you are familiar with ga woods.
off to get the activated charcoal.
thanks again.

i think she maybe bloated ,not sure.i can hear the water she has been drinking sloshing around in there when i move her.she seems to be the same size on both sides.
just looked up the wild cherry and it is not the same thing we have.ours have small round balls but the leaves are different.my husband just always called them that because he said they were toxic to the horses but i don't know what they are yet.

i do remember her eating dried fallen leaves because my son said she was eating dead leaves.

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
ok,got 2 of the activated charcoals down her.she is 40lbs.
how much should she get and when?
how quick does this work?

her gums are pink and she has not had any diarrhea as of yet.when i found her this morning her mouth was all wet like it is now.i know now is from her practicaly laying in her bowl but this morning she was not near her water so i thought it was drool.

Last edited:

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have any medical advice, but I hope she feels better soon. I know you must be very worried. :hugs

heatherlynnky

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
All I can say is how it work with me. I have used it on animals but they were not in such bad shape. Mine was precautionary after a known exposure. Ok so I take activated charcoal when I have gotten ill on store bought meats or fast food ( rare for this reason). I give myself 2 hours and then take 2 more caps. These can cause constipation though so you do not want to overdo it. Does she have the runs at all? Is she still moaning? Is she more bloated? I have massaged one who had bloat from over eating and it seemed to help. No goat vet near you? I would be dragging the vet out but I know sometimes one is not available.

storm1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I don't have any medical advice, but I hope she feels better soon. I know you must be very worried. :hugs

thanks .
i keep saying i am not getting anymore animals because it hurts to much.