My meat rabbits have ear mites!

Hoover67

Just born
Reaction score
Yikes! How did I let this happen? I did not notice anything a week ago when I bred two of the does. What should I do? How can I treat this problem? Injections? of what? drops of mineral/olive oil?

I am embarressed that I let this happen.

:(

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Take heart, don't be discouraged, and remember life happens. Ear mites are easily treatable. Go over the the Diseases section for Rabbits and wander around. There is a good discussion on the thread about scabby ears.

Some folks swear by the oil method, olive or mineral, and I have talked to others who swear you have to use the stronger external parasite on the rabbit... I'd rather start with the oil and after using that for a few treatments and you not seeing any improvement, then go the chemical.

Ask all the questions you can think of as chances are someone here has "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt".

Good luck with your rabbit.

Stratmoore Farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
As animalmom said, it happens. And it can happen quick.

I read on here awhile back about using Ivermectin. A small, pea-sized dose on a popsicle stick (I used a butter knife) will get rid of the mites. Follow up with another dose 10 days later to get rid of any that may have hatched out after the initial dose. The post also said that one or two doses a year will act as a preventative.

Now this thread http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17905 says not to use Ivermectin on does that are bred. So maybe use the mineral oil treatment and see what happens.

DianeS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just use mineral oil for mine. First get any solid crud out of the year that you can. Then wet a cotton ball with mineral oil, and use it to wipe out anything that is still left. Be LIBERAL with the mineral oil, even dripping some in the ear. When you let go of the rabbit, it will shake its head and mineral oil will fly everywhere, so be ready for that. (This is a job to do *outside*!) Repeat every day for about 10 days. The mineral oil smothers the mites, and helps dissolve the crusty stuff they leave behind, and when the head is shaken is helps remove all of that from the ear.

Of course there are some stubborn infestations that require ivermectin or the like, but quite a number of ear mite problems can be solved with mineral oil. (Or almond oil, if you're avoiding mineral oil.) Mineral oil can be used on any age kit, on does that are bred, and even on sick or weak animals.

Hope that helps!

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use mineral oil as well, and echo the advice of DianeS. If a rabbit gets a nasty case of mites before I see it, I find it best to dose the ear liberally with oil, let it soak in, then try to remove the crud with Qtips. I've even used tweezers to pull out the really bad stuff. The oil helps the junk bind together, rather than just flaking off in dry bits. Be very careful with tweezers because a rabbit's ears are super-sensitive. I don't dig, just remove what will come out.

I've heard some folks like camphor-scented mineral oil better than plain, but I use plain and it works well for me. I use a small syringe for dropping the oil into the ear. I only re-treat every 5-6 days on a bad case, and 2-3 doses on that schedule seems to clear it up.

adorable

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Stratmoore Farms said:

I read on here awhile back about using Ivermectin. A small, pea-sized dose on a popsicle stick (I used a butter knife) will get rid of the mites. Follow up with another dose 10 days later to get rid of any that may have hatched out after the initial dose. The post also said that one or two doses a year will act as a preventative.

Now this thread http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17905 says not to use Ivermectin on does that are bred. So maybe use the mineral oil treatment and see what happens.
You should always weight the rabbit before using ivormec. Use the pour on stuff . In 3 days everything is done. Yes you can use it on pregnant does. I have . If you give them to much being pregnant. There is a chance of loosing the litter. IT also kills any other parasites. THe oil is just a cover up.

Hutch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
adorable said:
Stratmoore Farms said:

You should always weight the rabbit before using ivormec. Use the pour on stuff . In 3 days everything is done. Yes you can use it on pregnant does. I have . If you give them to much being pregnant. There is a chance of loosing the litter. IT also kills any other parasites. THe oil is just a cover up.
The oil is not just a cover up. It suffocates the mites but it must cover the mite's body. Mites hidden under the crusts in the ears may not be killed by oil alone. The oil also will not kill all of the life stages of the mites so you must learn the life cycle of mites to kill them with oil. I think that to effectively kill ear mites with oil you must treat twice ten days apart and a third time four days later, check me on this. Washing out the ears in between oil treatments would help remove the crust and residue but the wash must be the correct pH or it will cause problems also. Some people say use olive oil but it is food and may promote microbe growth in the rabbit's ears.

Ivomec is great but it must be dosed correctly by weight and administered correctly. I used the injectable Ivomec on my bucks but I haven't been able to convince myself to use it on the does. I read one research article that mentioned something about a growth factor and Ivomec. I also wouldn't use it on any animal I intended to eat.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
adorable said:
Stratmoore Farms said:

I've used the oil for quite sometime and it's worked just fine. It kills the mites and also loosens the scabs so they wipe off and don't hurt the rabbits. I've only had one rabbit that was bad enough to need more than two treatments.

adorable

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There is a difference between ivomec and ivomectin. I use the ivomec which can be use on pregnant does

I use ivomec once a year in the fall time on all of my rabbits. So this dosnt happened

seldom seen slim

Just born
Reaction score
You may harvest rabbits with ear mites then tease out the scabs and collect the mites for biological supply outfits in the 1960s afriend of mine and I made over 100.00 dollars from 7-8 rabbit heads after meat harvest sometimes problems can become a god send.Check with supply houses to see EXACTLY how and what to use to preserve the little buggers with.

Latest posts