My meat rabbits have ear mites!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I rescued a rabbit back in high school that had ear mites. I went to walmart and bought a little tube of 'ear mite killer' for cats. One treatment and the scabs and mites were gone! :ep

tx-ranch-man

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ok im a master rabbit raiser and big breeder in tx and the best thing you can do is give ear mite med

Hutch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Another follow-up. The idea that Ivomec can work for a year is very dependent on where you live and other things. It did not last all summer long here. I am almost ready to start breeding again so I dosed everyone again to prevent problems later.

If last year is a good indicator I think two treatments of Ivomec in the Spring/Summer should get me through a year with no bunny parasites.

I still won't use it or any other chemicals on any animal intended for human consumption. I wish I could get away from factory feed also.

primelife

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just an FYI (pardon the spelling) Di tamacious earth from any hardware store works great, I put a bit on there food every week as well to prevent all parasites and its side effects are 0!

Hutch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Another follow up. I quit using Ivomec on my rabbits. I felt like the results did not justify using such a potent chemical on rabbits. I am back to using mineral oil and a little ear mite killer. The commercial ear mite killer is a permethrin product and I use as little of it as possible.

Don't put food (vegetable oil) in your rabbit's ears. Bacteria and fungus will eat it and thrive on eating it.

Especially don't put WD40 in your rabbit's ears.

hardcore

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I see you don't use wd40 hutch, that's what I use. it has worked well for me. I like that wd40 , I even use it on myself for pain relief on sore joints.
just saying, don't do as I do.

Hutch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WD40 works for ear mites and have known others to use it for joint pain also. I wouldn't use WD40 because of what else it might do to you or your rabbits.

People also use DMSO on their joints. It carries other chemicals into your body with it. Like some people might put DMSO and aspirin on a sore joint and the DMSO carries the aspirin into the area. Once again the problem is: what else does the DMSO carry into the area besides the aspirin?

Don't use DMSO on your rabbits.

hitnspit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
What we found works best and works fast is WD-40. Use the type with the spray hose. give it a good amount and the rabbit will start shacking its head as the WD-40 starts to work. the next morning 90% of the scab will be gone.