NEED YOUR RECIPE FOR HOMEMADE GOAT FOOD AND CHICKEN FOOD

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
DO YOU HAVE A RECIPE TO MAKE HOMEMADE CHICKEN FOOD ALL NATURAL OR ORGANIC?

HOW ABOUT GOAT FOOD? I WOULD LIKE TO GET ALL MY GIRLS (CHICKENS AND GOATS) EATING HEALTHY

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Is there anyone who does not feed their goats commercial pellets?

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Wish I could help. Our farm store carries organic feeds though for goats and chickens for those that want it (more expensive but it is nice that it is option). Hope someone can help you out.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Alas, I feed Stock and Stable 14 sweet feed. Sorry I can't be much help here. :idunno

Have you looked at the Storey's Guide to Dairy Goats or the Storey's Guide to Raising Poultry? I think (and I may be wrong here) that they have some recipes for feed there.

Good luck!

Bedste

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you very much I will.... :D

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
For my chickens I use
rolled oats
millet
wheat
BOSS
calf manna
or Zbong poultry mix (in lace of the BOSS and calf manna)

For my dairy goats
oats
barley
alfalfa pellets
BOSS
calf manna (everyone is pretty close to a 4 or 5 on the fatness scale, except Georgia, so I am cutting out the BOSS and calf manna for everyone else)

For my very young bucks, right now I am just learning about the best way to feed the boys so they are getting half of their "grain" as the oats, barley, alfalfa pellets and the other half is a commercial goat textured feed. I want to get away from soy and corn so I will stop that once I can figure out a good feeding plan for them.

I weigh out all my feeds as I mix them, but I can't remember off the top of my head what my amounts are.

vegaburm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I tried making my own mix for chicken feed for a while. Problem was they were picking out their favorite parts and wasting a LOT of feed, and not eating the powdered stuff I had to add like fish meal to increase the protein amounts. So, after a while I gave up. It was taking longer, costing more, and they were wasting it. I went back to the bagged stuff. If a store around here sold organic I would go that route, but none do.

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The problem with chickens is they do have a tendency to waste feed. They do just eat what they like and leave the rest. I think the commercial feeds are well formulated and it's too darn expensive to try to make your own and expect it to have everything they need. Tough job doing your own mix. Just sayin.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I found the same thing madcow...chicken and sheep feed to get the ingredients, vitamins, minerals, etc. was going to be way more expensive than just buying it with everything in it.