New goat owner

Kj_has_goats!!!!!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi, I'm kj and I am the proud owner of two Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Leia and Rey. They are adorable. I live in Seattle area and am very excited I can own goats and chickens.
In my personal life, I am a therapist who works with children. I am a geek(well, given the goat names, I guess you might have guessed that) and enjoy gaming and working in my garden.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from oregon. We are all addicts here, so they are welcome!!

micah wotring

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to BYH!!
Got any pics to share with us of your animals?? We are all picture addicts around here.

Do you already have chickens or are still just planning?

MW

Reactions: TAH

Kj_has_goats!!!!!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I already have 6 chickens. They are 15 weeks old now. Two easter eggers, two rhode island reds, one barred rock, one welsummer. We bought a house on an acre of land in south seattle this fall, so I spent the winter planning for animals and the spring building housing. I lucked into the goats- a friend at work had a relative who needed to rehome her goats. They are young and Leia was a bottle baby so she is very friendly.
I'll post pictures in a bit- my husband is a photographer, so there will be many pictures of thr goats soon.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings there @Kj_has_goats!!!!! Welcome to BYH and goat ownership! Since you're work is therapy, I imagine before long you'll realize that the goats and chickens can be therapeutic for you! They can really help relieve stress and put you in a better place. Hey... Maybe you can use the goats to help in your therapy sessions with kids? Especially since they are Nigies... smaller and lass threatening. I'm assuming that Leia is a doe and Rey is a buck. No idea of their ages, but if he isn't wethered, you may be the proud owner of more goats before too long ;) Glad you joined us! We have a lot of active goat folks here.

Kj_has_goats!!!!!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Yes! Therapy goats are going to happen. I'm starting a home based private practice in addition to my regular job, so it will be easy to incorporate goats into therapy. My current job said I could bring them once in a while too. I've worked with therapy dog before and am always amazed at how much they help kids, especially those on the autism spectrum. I've also done some equine therapy for myself in the past and it was pretty cool.

Leia and Rey are both girls. I don't want a buck at this time. Leia is small and a bit too thin. They said we need to fatten her up. The goats she was with before didn't alway let her access the food. Poor girl!

I see you are moving to east texas at some point. I'm from that area. Let me know if you have any questions about that part of the country.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome to backyard herds, and congrats on your goats and your plans!