1. 10,000 members - Guess the Day and Hour and win!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. Official BYH caption Contest #2 - 29 July 2014 - Pic by Pioneer Chicken
    Click HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH Featured Thread: New to goats
    CLICK HERE!

4. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!

5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

6. Caption Contest Submissions - Pictures Needed
    Click HERE!

New LGD mix puppy! Questions

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by rebelINny, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jan 22, 2013
    rebelINny

rebelINny Loving the herd life

Hi for those of you who have an LGD and have had it since it was a puppy. I am getting a great pyrenes/springer spaniel puppy tomorrow. He looks big already! I was wondering how early does the training need to begin and how to go about it. I have goats and I want him to eventually "work" on the farm. And I don't know much about spaniels except they are hyper. Do you think this mix would be suitable as a working LGD?
  2. Jan 22, 2013
    Straw Hat Kikos

Straw Hat Kikos The Kiko Cowboy

I'm sorry but absolutely not. Do not get that dog. It will not be an LGD. If you want an LGD you must get a an LGD breed or and LGDxLGD, nothing else. It will not be an LGD if it is crossed with a non-LGD breed.
  3. Jan 22, 2013
    BrownSheep

BrownSheep Loving the herd life Golden Herd Member

I would say it honestly depends on the dog if he takes after the Pyrenees maybe. But most likely I would hold off for a mor suitable breed or mix.

More than likely you will be able to train him to be accepting of your goats but him adopting them as his pack is unlikely. I have a springer spaniel mix and while she doesn't mess with the sheep and would defend tem from other dogs,its due to her recognizing them as threatening her territory which the sheep happen to live on...if that makes any sense.

IF he works it will not be as a true LGD who lives with the flock because it's part of the flock. It will be because you've trained him not to mess with them.

Unlike, Straw I believe other breeds can guard livestock . They will not , an shouldn't not be expected to, gaurd it like a true LGD breed. I have 6 dogs and all but my herding puppy would defend the sheep . They don't live with them and don't pay them much mind but when it comes to predators we haven't lost one yet.
  4. Jan 22, 2013
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice True BYH Addict

I would recommend you moving this thread to Livestock Guardians.

I would not recommend this mix at all. Sorry.
  5. Jan 22, 2013
    Shelly May

Shelly May Chillin' with the herd

Because this mix is not a good mix for guardian, don't get it, as I fear another dog will have to be re-homed again,
    let someone who wants a pet get it. Hold out for the true guardian dog you may need, you fill find in the end it was
    the right decision. ;)
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    goodolboy

goodolboy Ridin' The Range

Doesn't sound like a good mix to me. I'm not big on mixing dogs. There are plenty to choose from already. That is why they are called mutts.
  7. Jan 22, 2013
    Pearce Pastures

Pearce Pastures Goat Walker

Mixed breeds make amazing pets but are not going to bond and guard like an LGD. Our sweet mixed breed while incredibly smart and great about barking to warn us when predators are around, is not allowed near our goats. In fact, when one of them got out this week and made his way into our dogs enclosure, she was happily chasing him at top speed around the acre, clearly enjoying how scared he was as he slammed into the fence just before I rescued him. Through the fence, they are great pals.
  8. Jan 22, 2013
    Renegade

Renegade Overrun with beasties

IMO This cross is a disaster waiting to happen if put in with livestock. You have a guardian breed(pyr) mixed with a hunting breed (springer). Plus I would bet these puppies were not born and raised with goats. I would pass on getting one of these puppies unless you're just looking for a housepet.

Donna
  9. Jan 22, 2013
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre True BYH Addict

I don't think this would be a good mix either.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a GP x Border Collie Mix which I have seen another post saying this isn't a good mix either. But at least a border collie is a breed with a working purpose with livestock while a spaniel is a hunting breed.

He stays in the goat house with everyone if it's cold or rainig but I have seen him move some straglers back to the group if they stray to far, he wants to keep them all in his line of sight.

And he is totally submissive to the adult does.
  10. Jan 24, 2013
    rebelINny

rebelINny Loving the herd life

THanks everyone ! I really appreciate all your opinions. I already bought him but he is now just going to be my son's pet as he's been begging me for a pup for 3 years! He's a sweetheart but he will not be a guard dog to the goats, maybe to us though ;)