New LGD mix puppy! Questions

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi for those of you who have an LGD and have had it since it was a puppy. I am getting a great pyrenes/springer spaniel puppy tomorrow. He looks big already! I was wondering how early does the training need to begin and how to go about it. I have goats and I want him to eventually "work" on the farm. And I don't know much about spaniels except they are hyper. Do you think this mix would be suitable as a working LGD?

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I'm sorry but absolutely not. Do not get that dog. It will not be an LGD. If you want an LGD you must get a an LGD breed or and LGDxLGD, nothing else. It will not be an LGD if it is crossed with a non-LGD breed.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would say it honestly depends on the dog if he takes after the Pyrenees maybe. But most likely I would hold off for a mor suitable breed or mix.

More than likely you will be able to train him to be accepting of your goats but him adopting them as his pack is unlikely. I have a springer spaniel mix and while she doesn't mess with the sheep and would defend tem from other dogs,its due to her recognizing them as threatening her territory which the sheep happen to live on...if that makes any sense.

IF he works it will not be as a true LGD who lives with the flock because it's part of the flock. It will be because you've trained him not to mess with them.

Unlike, Straw I believe other breeds can guard livestock . They will not , an shouldn't not be expected to, gaurd it like a true LGD breed. I have 6 dogs and all but my herding puppy would defend the sheep . They don't live with them and don't pay them much mind but when it comes to predators we haven't lost one yet.

Shelly May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Because this mix is not a good mix for guardian, don't get it, as I fear another dog will have to be re-homed again,
let someone who wants a pet get it. Hold out for the true guardian dog you may need, you fill find in the end it was
the right decision. ;)

goodolboy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a good mix to me. I'm not big on mixing dogs. There are plenty to choose from already. That is why they are called mutts.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
Mixed breeds make amazing pets but are not going to bond and guard like an LGD. Our sweet mixed breed while incredibly smart and great about barking to warn us when predators are around, is not allowed near our goats. In fact, when one of them got out this week and made his way into our dogs enclosure, she was happily chasing him at top speed around the acre, clearly enjoying how scared he was as he slammed into the fence just before I rescued him. Through the fence, they are great pals.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rebelINny said:
Hi for those of you who have an LGD and have had it since it was a puppy. I am getting a great pyrenes/springer spaniel puppy tomorrow. He looks big already! I was wondering how early does the training need to begin and how to go about it. I have goats and I want him to eventually "work" on the farm. And I don't know much about spaniels except they are hyper. Do you think this mix would be suitable as a working LGD?
IMO This cross is a disaster waiting to happen if put in with livestock. You have a guardian breed(pyr) mixed with a hunting breed (springer). Plus I would bet these puppies were not born and raised with goats. I would pass on getting one of these puppies unless you're just looking for a housepet.

Donna

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't think this would be a good mix either.

But, in the interest of full disclosure, I have a GP x Border Collie Mix which I have seen another post saying this isn't a good mix either. But at least a border collie is a breed with a working purpose with livestock while a spaniel is a hunting breed.

He stays in the goat house with everyone if it's cold or rainig but I have seen him move some straglers back to the group if they stray to far, he wants to keep them all in his line of sight.

And he is totally submissive to the adult does.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
THanks everyone ! I really appreciate all your opinions. I already bought him but he is now just going to be my son's pet as he's been begging me for a pup for 3 years! He's a sweetheart but he will not be a guard dog to the goats, maybe to us though ;)