New Member, New sheep owner Hi There

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
HI all,
I just found this site and thought it will be a great resource as I am a new sheep/goat owner.

I have what some refer to as a Geep. His mother is a sheep and father a billy goat. No joke. I swear and currently in talks with a University in California to do some genetic testing.

I've raised horses cows and pigs, but never a sheep or a goat.

Sammy is now a month old and doing great. He lives inside for now, and when old enough and the weather is warmer for him to live outside, we will get a couple pasture mates (not sure if we want a goat or sheep as his pals)

So any advice help or whatever is greatly appreciated.
I've uploaded a pic of Sammy. He looks to have more goat like hair, but trust me, its all curly wool underneath. He is 13 lbs now (born at 5 lbs and likely 2 weeks premi per the vet

Attachments

• sammy3.JPG
    sammy3.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 84

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello :frowL J. Welcome to BYH, I'll be interested in watching him grow.

Reactions: L J

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello :frowL J. Welcome to BYH, I'll be interested in watching him grow.
Thanks! I have read a few people posting about Geeps on here, but sounds like most haven't experienced it. (just reading stuff about the ones created in a science lab).
Maybe I could start a thread just about the geep and see who responds. Either way, yes, I'll definitely post more pics as the little guy grows!

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did his momma reject him?
yes, we found him (and the sister who did not survive) about 20 min or so after birth., the mom hadn't cleaned them, just standing around like nothing. it was well below freezing, so dried them etc. tried a few times to get mom to take them and she had absolutely no interest. Rather than chance it, as he was already doing poorly, made the decision to pull him inside and just bottle raise.

kinder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ah !! poor baby's :hit Some times mother nature can be so crewel.

L J

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:welcome

We may not have a whole lot of geep experience info for you but some of the herdies on here are research gurus!

Guys.....Does this mean they are sheeple or goaties?

ha! I found the word Geep and been using that. I am feeding him as though he is a sheep, since they seem to be more sensitive in that area (no copper i.e)