New Pasture Section? - Feedback needed!

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, we received a request from two of our members (apologies if I missed any further posts on this), @Baymule and @Latestarter

I am posting this in Random Ramblings, but if @Sumi wants to move it to the newly created Pasture forum (I am hoping for a forum where we can discuss our pastures) under Herds General, it's ok with me! (pastures aren't just for cattle......)

@Sumi I concur about a new forum entry for Pastures under the Herds General category. There have been several other pasture type threads on various other forums and really, pastures apply to virtually all herd type animals. Would be great to get them all in one place to ease searching for information.

I passed on the suggestion to Nifty and he's open to the idea, but before we jump in, we'd like to get a better idea of what you guys want and need with regards to this section.

To start the discussion, from our side:

- This would "pastures general" i.e. applicable to ALL livestock?
- Would this include fencing related threads?

Any other ideas, thoughts, suggestions, please let us know!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We already have a fencing section.

I think it is a good idea.

Pasture for goats will be different than for sheep and cattle and horses etc.

Parasite management grasses and how to integrate in pasture

Pasture growing by geographical region

those are a few thoughts :hu

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like keeping the fencing forum just like it is and not mixing it with the pasture forum.

I don't know about separating the pasture forum into different topics. I find that I learn a lot from everyone around the country, indeed, from around the world. If it is separated by region or type of livestock, I might miss out on important information, even if not applicable to my situation. I love learning about livestock care in all portions of the world and all types of livestock, even if I never plan to own a particular type of animal.

I think most people in the north know that Bermuda, a staple grass in the south, won't do well in their region. Maybe make some stickys for regions and livestock types would be sufficient.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I agree, leave the fencing section as is and make it just pasture related... maybe something like: Pastures - General Care & Management. I don't think we need a whole section with sub categories... If it's placed right below or above fencing, (in the herds general section) I believe it will be pretty self explanatory...

Edit to add: Some others who might have valuable input here are @soarwitheagles, who had pasture questions earlier regarding his sheep, and maybe @The Old Ram-Australia who has posted some very valuable and thought provoking info regarding pasture rotation and pest control with his sheep. I believe @greybeard & @Bossroo have even chimed in on pasture related stuff in the past and have a wealth of info/experience they might share with members.

Last edited:

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, such a great discussion, thanks everyone!!

I really don't have any strong opinions on this other than my standard requirements for new sections:

1) They justify their existence with sufficient activity (topics and posts).
2) They don't cause too much confusion for new (or even existing users) on trying to determine where the best place is to post their topic or search for info.

Again, I LOVE this discussion and that we, as a community, can work together to create the best place and experience for our members and visitors!!!

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. A general forum for pasture management would be wise. Herds(wo)men like myself rotate through brush filled pasture while other members have grass pasture. Every region, state, and even county will be different but as it is with fencing there is no need to break it down any furthur than that.

It would just be nice to have a place to talk pros and cons in pasture management that is not hidden amongst random ramblings or care and maintenance threads, etc.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pasture is a topic near and dear to my sheep and goats. We're fencing and cross fencing but getting the pasture grass/forage right is our problem. We are also considering a conservation plan that would have us eradicate the fescue and bermuda in favor of local cool/warm season grasses. It would be a massive undertaking but a good endeavor for both the wildlife and our herds. I'd love to see a pasture section. Breaking it into many b=subsections could dilute the conversation. I am in favor of a pasture section.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is exciting! I believe we all could benefit from a pasture forum. Even my chickens love to snip off green grass. Discussions and ideas on how to plant, grow, improve and use our pastures will help us all.

Pastor Dave

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am curious abt a hay field forum that could be a subcategory. I don't think I have found that on here yet, but am still relatively new to the site.
In Indiana I see alfalfa fields and general grass hay fields.
My hay field would make an awesome pasture, and I am figuring the management of it is much the same as a forage pasture. If I raised goats, I would do little different with the combination of grasses growing back there now that I bale for my rabbits. I have fescue, orchard grass, timothy, and clover. A few fences and it could easily become pasture. Maybe that is the main difference, and I do know there is a fence forum. I do not really want to discuss fences. If that is possible, cool. Aside from the management of the grass growth, I am looking for smaller scale and cheaper ways of getting all that great grass into bales. Thanks, Dave

Latest posts