Nubian Doe Weak and in Pain

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
2 year old Nubian doe. Current temp 98.6. Grinding teeth. Too weak to stand. Not drinking/eating like yesterday.

1 week ago I saw that she had soft stool and took feces to local vet for fecal. Said she and another had Hook worms and a small amount of cocci. I moved them both into a pen closer to the house because they had already lost too much weight and I wanted to keep a closer eye on her. I gave her Strongid? 3 days later her stool was still soft so I gave her another wormer. 2 days later she was down but still eating and her stool was much better. I was worried about treating her for the minor cocci at the same time as the other.

2 days ago I moved her into the house because it got cold and she was shivering. I lost my thermometer until now so I don't have any previous temps. I had already started Corrid and did not want to stop. I gave a shot of B-complex and she improved and ate well. Too weak to stand though.

Yesterday she was not eating as well but was still eating and drinking and passed perfect stool 5 times and peed well. After giving her another shot of B-complex last night she improved again eating and drinking. I have also given her some gatorade and some red cell on her grain.

Now she is in front of the wood stove with sweaters and an electric heater on her. She started grinding her teeth this morning and is no longer eating or drinking. She will drink what I put in the drench gun.

So! What can I do for her pain? Should I stop the Corrid? Should I give her more b-complex? How often? How much water do I need to be sure she gets?

I have no access to a vet until next week. Also, none of my pharmacies carry b-1.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Teeth grinding indicates pain.
Try
Ibuprofen

• For treatment of:
    • This is anti-inflammatory, that also reduces temperature and is a pain killer.
  • Goat dose: Oral
    • Double human dose
  • Milk withholding time: 24 hours

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was wrong about her temp. I have not had a sick goat in a long while so I forgot how to use my thermometer. Her temp yesterday was 92.4. I was able to raise it to 96. I just checked it again and its 97.7.

If ibuprofen lowers temp I don't think I can use it. I need her temp higher. She only peed twice yesterday and passed stool twice. She seems like she is having trouble spitting up her cud to chew it. Her stomach is getting larger. She did pee a lot today but only passed one small stool this morning. I am going to read what Southern suggested right now.

Also, I keep probiotics on hand but I don't have that much left.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad to hear from you this afternoon. Glad she is still alive.
Hoping she can make it through.
I think high doses of probios would be good and maybe molasses too.
Did she kid recently?

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No she has never kidded. That is why she is in this position. My milkers get most of my attention and she is not one of them.

I read a lot of the articles there but didn't see much that could help me. I am still trying to get her temp up. She has not been eating much so I am thinking I may have to tube her. However, she just got very excited when she smelled my pizza. I was curious so I offered her some crust. She loved it and kept begging for more. I'm not sure if I did the right thing feeding her that but she was so happy.... Is there something that she might be more interested in that she will eat other than hay and grain?? I would rather not tube if I don't have to. I have never done it before.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
From the article-
Diarrhea can be a sign of many things, including heavy worm load and/or cocciciosis. Bottom line, though, is that most of these problems are rumen-related. Milk of Magnesia, ReSorb or equivalent electrolytes, Lactated Ringers, Banamine . . . all of these products are useful in such circumstances.
Adult-goat rumen problems include listeriosis, ruminal acidosis, bloat, and enterotoxemia (overeating disease)

You said you were treating for cocci are you still doing that?
How much water is she taking in?
I would not feed pizza or grains, hay, long fiber, Nutri-drench,
what is the temp now? You may need to give water every 30 minutes by syringe.
Is she standing? Laying down?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
OK, do not laugh at this or think I am crazy...it works. Her temp is low because her rumen is shutting down. The probiotics is a good idea, but get some warm, flat beer and drench her with an entire bottle of beer. You can make the beer flat by pouring it back and forth between 2 glasses.

The flora in this beer is really close to what you will find in a goat's rumen. We use Widmer Hefeweizen beer but probably any wheat Hefeweizen would work. Also probiotics work, but the beer is quicker. Also, when you drench (give liquids by mouth) a goat aim for the left cheek pouch and you won't drown them. Put it in sideways, across the tongue, not straight down their throat.

Hope she comes around for you. If you have any browse she might eat I would try that. Mine love oak trees and blackberries, but of course different areas are different. Cut some branches for her.