Oat hay for horses?

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i am originally from up north and i have never heard of oat hay before i moved here to NC. the man i get fescue rolls from also has oat hay and asked if i wanted some, i didnt get it for the simple reason i had no idea anything about it! i have never fed it before so i didnt know if its something rich like alfalfa or if its safe to feed in large quantities. does anyone else feed this or know about its nutritional value?
thanks! :)

michickenwrangler

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know horses can eat it--some people around here feed it. But you should probably ask your county extension agent or vet about its nutritional value.

bucknercrestfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a hard keeper and she florishes on oat hay so dose my colt who cant have any thing hot like alfalfa or orchard grass its very good on there tummies i live in washington state and its hard to get my hands on the stuff i would only feed it if i could! so oat hay is whats left after they cut the tops for oats then they bale the rest the protines are still good and youll see oats in the hay so its an added bonus there is lots of fiber and its a hardy hay great for older horses or ones that are quick to colic your sooo lucky you got that opption!

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hmm great, next time they cut it maybe i will get a couple bales. should i transition slowly or is it safe enough to just put out there in the round bale for them like i do the fescue bales? i know i would never do that with alfalfa because its too rich to just let them have at it.

Latest posts