On-hand must haves

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
What are some of your must haves?? We only have 2 goats (Nigerian Dwarfs) and do not plan to breed/milk/show and we do not plan to have a goat farm or anything. Simply, just these 2 goats. (might add 1 or 2 later on but no more). What are some of the thing I should keep on hand? it would also be helpful to know what the item is used for....all new to me and still trying to learn!! TIA!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
You didn't mention if they are does, bucks, or wethers. If they are wethers, and I have this myself for my wethers... just in case kind of thing, get some Ammonium Chloride in case they have any urinary tract problems like stones. I think it is better to have on hand and never need it than to scramble to get some when you do.

Raisins are always good to have on hand.

Welcome to BYH, and of course, we need pictures.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wormers, probiotics, antibiotics, needles, syringes, cocci meds.... feed, collars, leads, hoof trimmers...

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are 10 week old bucklings who will be wethered soon! What type of wormer, antibiotics, probiotics? Sorry for the 22 questions. I just don't want to get something that's not correct. Just loose ammonium chloride? Or is it a block? A liquid?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have mentioned that most importantly of all - a veterinarian that you can develop a relationship with is so very important. He/she can give you pointers on what you need in your area of the country. Wormers should be administered after having a fecal analysis. The vet can inform you on what worming medication still works in your area. Probiotics are pretty easy - check with your vet, and/or feed store or a livestock supply catalog (Jeffers is one) and just read about what is recommended for goats.

When you are just starting out I suggest that you contact your vet for most of the information that you need. You can find suggestions on this, and other forums, about antibiotic use, but please - until you have more experience - follow a veterinarian's advice.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, ammonium chloride is a powder and you can order it from hoeggerfarmyard.com. Another good catalog to request is caprinesupply.com. If your local feed store doesn't have something then either hoeggerfarm or caprinesupply will have it. Both catalogs are a fun read.

You do mention in other threads what your goaties are, somehow it just didn't connect in my wee brain.

Don't forget the pictures! Please and thank you.

GabysMom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
20150413_193157.jpg
20150412_123320.jpg