Only one testicle?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
im banding my 10 week old boys. It's my first time banding. I did the first of two and it was easy. I grabbed his brother and only could find one testicle. Is this common or perhaps it hasn't descended yet and I should wait?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did you push on his belly right above the sack and see if it was just stuck up in there? Sometimes my young boys do this, especially when stressed :lol: 10 weeks should be plenty old to have descended. But there are definitely some individuals who only have one descended.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think his brother, the one I did first, warned him ;)

My husband was helping. He felt around and said he didn't feel another one. I wondered if it could retreat far enough that a person would have a hard time finding it. So we let him go. That was yesterday. I did a quick visual today and it still only looks like one. I honestly never looked specifically for both to be there before yesterday. I just saw the scrotum and knew I would likely band around 10 weeks.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Banding one will not do the job. If you pick him up then yes they can kinda suck it up... but if he is standing and you only feel one then he is either a unilateral cryptorchid or a monorchid . Either way a vet should see him.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I just learned two new words and all about two different testicular issues that I never knew about.

Thanks for the information southern. :)

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If he sucked it up, can it stay there a bit where we can't feel it? It's been 24 hours since we picked him up to do the job.

This is the same buckling that I disbudded and found a couple weeks later, the disbudding had large red bulbous spots which turned into what looks to be horrific scurs that I never even took a dissuading iron to.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
I second what SBC said.

A cryptorchid is when only one teste has descended.

A monorchid is when they only HAVE one teste.

Both can potentially still reproduce.

If he's going to be a pet, consult a vet.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He is an alpine/Lamancha mixed breed. He is growing so fast and he and his twin are both much bigger than the Nubian triplets that were born only one day later. I could see him being okay for meat goat.

I put him up for sale as a dairy buckling but if in my tiny circle, there was no interest, I had plans to band at 10 weeks like I'm following through with. I have him for sale so he could go for pet or meat.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If for meat it will be nasty. If a pet it will still be "bucky" and can reproduce which is NOT good. Usually it is just right up inside and easy to get to... a vet would be able to feel and tell if it is "right there" or uh oh it is somewhere...