Our new goat shelter...expanded

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We had a great weekend project! After weeks of researching, nights of sleeplessness in planning, days of material searching....we finally did it. We are quite proud of ourselves. It came out better than we thought and it is very sturdy. My husband had to climb up on it so he can put screws on. Thanks everyone here for ideas and for posting pictures.
5675_p1010420.jpg

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well..
The bottom frame is 10'x10' with 4 2x4x10 using metal brackets to hold them together. Next were these cattle/hog panels, 2 60"x16'. They fit perfectly inside the frame (did have to saw off two corners) and were secured with metal staples. Then we cut two pieces of plywood to fit the backside of the shelter and wired the corral panels in the front. The hardest part was to find something long enough and flexible enough to go inside the dome so we can screw the metal panels (3'x10') on. All I can find was these vinyl trims that are 1x2x12'.... So we use some 16 gauge wire and tie 5 pieces tightly against the inside ceiling spacing them about 2 feet apart. Surprisingly, they held up and made the dome shape stronger too. As for attaching the steel panels, we started with 1x2x8 wood trim at the bottom (goes horizontally) and attach the first piece of metal roof with 1" roofing screws. Then the rest are attached onto those vinyl trims.

5675_p1010409.jpg

5675_p1010412.jpg

I am just glad it worked! My husband was skeptical of the vinyl trims. The whole project cost us more than I thought but it is still cheaper if we were to buy something the same size. It was an good experience. :)

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That turned out spectacularly well! I am going to show my husband these pics. I could use a bigger field shelter. :)

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
What was your total cost for the project? (If you don't mind my asking.) It is beautiful!
Not at all...
Let's see...wow...it is really more than I thought....
Just supplies was about $450 not including tax (here is 8%). The more expensive items are the metal roofing @ $29 a sheet and we used 6. Fiberglass corrugated panel was another option but I thought the metal will last much longer sitting in the sun. I didn't want to use tarp because of the extreme weather here in CO. We have really strong gusty wind up where we are. We used 4 gauge 4"x4" hole hog panels that are 5'x16', they are $ 30 ea and we used 3 (2 for the dome and 1 for coyote proof the front/gate. I supposed we could use the cattle panels with 6'x6' holes which is $20 but it wouldn't be as strong.... The vinyl trim is expensive...$12.5 each and we used 5. If you can find something else, let me know. Originally I thought we could just put wood trims across and nail across. I thought it would make overlapping harder to do and it won't be as strong on the top either. It would make material cost lower.... Other stuff such as metal brackets to make the frame stronger, nails for metal roofing...we brought two boxes but have plenty left. Two pieces of plywood @20 ea...could use thinner ones but $20 was not too expensive and it was 1/2 or 3/4 thick. Other little things add up too....

I want to paint the back of plywood too. Probably not the front since it is the inside where the goats will be. I plan to divide the inside making a bedding area for them. There is plenty of room left for food and water. I got hanging food/mineral dishes. I plan to build a some sort of less waste hay feeder later..... That will be more sleepless nights thinking about it. Since the kids are small, I'll just put hay in a tub for now.

Hopefully this will last a long time. I spent a lot on the corral panels too but I can sell that later if I am done with animals.... These goats could be my first and last. Our dog is 4 now and I hope he lives a long live because he could be our last dog too.

Thanks everyone. We are happy with the result (especially me). I didn't know better to have doubts but my husband went along with it. He sure was supportive and didn't complain at all. He is the one who climbed up and down pre-drilled and screwed the screws (got the wrong screws...they have self drilling screws) and I was inside the dome guiding him and push upward when he drilled down.

poorboys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great job, have to show my dh, he is planning on putting up a new buck house and me a milking parlor.