Overwhelmed with breeds.

Mylittlefarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, my husband and I are starting to look into sheep as our next animal. But, unlike with our goats, we are at a loss where to begin on looking for the right breed. We are really just wanting to sheep for wool and possibly milk. If it matters we live in the Midwest but that is all we are sure of right now. We know we don't need it for meat, and we already have animals for milk. Can anyone suggest a few breeds for us to look into to help give us a starting point?

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The first breeds that come to mind are Shetlands and Icelandics. Both are known for having very good fiber and aren't as heavy as meat breeds. I've heard of Icelandics being used for milk, though they're not really a dairy breed. I don't know about Shetland milk production.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Tunis may be an option!!! They are a medium sized sheep, very docile, awesome foragers, have lots of milk, great mothers, and hand working/spinners love their wool! ;)

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Sinceyou aren't big on meat I second the Icelandic. If you don't mind bigger sheep I would suggest dorsets or east Fresian . Dorsets are meatier with nice milk product and fairly nice wool. EastFresiqns are THE dairy breed. No idea about wool quality off the top of my head.

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friesians have crappy wool. If you are looking for nice wool, Border Leicesters and Romneys and crosses of the two have very nice wool that is popular with hand spinners. Bonus with BLs/Romneys would be that you could slaughter any extra ram lambs for meat. If you are looking for something smaller or more fun, Shetlands are great. They are little and come in lots of colors.

I've milked an Icelandic before....not too bad. Sheep years are small and harder to milk than a goat's.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Decide what kind of wool you want to work with...fine, medium, long, or carpet. Each type of wool has a different use. Then I would suggest you take a look at my sheep breed selector (link in my signature) and it will help find a breed suitable for what you want.

Mylittlefarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That is really good to know that their wool isn't very good! Thank you! As far as Shetlands I will look them up more but how large to their get? The 2 goats I currently have are Nigerian Dwarfs. Size doesn't matter to awful much, I just don't want sheep that would tower over the little girls.

purplequeenvt said:
Friesians have crappy wool. If you are looking for nice wool, Border Leicesters and Romneys and crosses of the two have very nice wool that is popular with hand spinners. Bonus with BLs/Romneys would be that you could slaughter any extra ram lambs for meat. If you are looking for something smaller or more fun, Shetlands are great. They are little and come in lots of colors.

I've milked an Icelandic before....not too bad. Sheep years are small and harder to milk than a goat's.

Mylittlefarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you!!

SheepGirl said:
Decide what kind of wool you want to work with...fine, medium, long, or carpet. Each type of wool has a different use. Then I would suggest you take a look at my sheep breed selector (link in my signature) and it will help find a breed suitable for what you want.

BHOBCFarms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have Miniature Cheviots - They are kind of a multi-purpose breed in that they have good wool (I suspect improved wool quality may be the result of shetland crosses at some point in the past before the registry), and good meat type, and my ewes are pretty milky, large and good quality udders for the size of the sheep. I will say though that I haven't milked them myself, and I am sure they can't compete with the true milk breeds. But depending on your milk needs, etc, it might work for you. In addition they also have the following good qualities: Small size, (19-23 inches tall and weight between 50-100 lbs), good temperament, manageability, multiple lambs, ease of lambing and overall rugged good health. They also come in white, black, paint (spotted), and black dillute, which ranges from grey to chocolate or tan/cream colors.

Here are some pics of mine:

8822_img_1230.jpg
[

8822_pixie_lambing_2013_5.jpg

Thats my leg with my ewe and her lamb - I am under 5'5"

8822_img_1346.jpg

Ruus

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mylittlefarm said:
That is really good to know that their wool isn't very good! Thank you! As far as Shetlands I will look them up more but how large to their get?
Shetlands are tiny. Almost as small as my Soays! Ewes are generally 75-100 lbs, and rams can be up to 125. And their tails are naturally short, so no docking to worry about. I don't know about their milk production, except that they don't seem to have any trouble raising twins.