Pendergrass Ranch - Big changes!

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We (my SO and I) are about to embark on a journey. We recently purchased a couple acres that I am convinced was built for us. It has all that I have ever wanted except its missing a few hundred acres but alas, it is in our price range :D It is in a small town of 1100 people, and that is what I adore about it. I have long dreamed of living in the country and it is finally happening! Please join me on my journey! :D

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
California, about 2 hours north of the bay area. Climate is mild. Temperatures are usually 50-85 but a few days may hit the 100's and it occasionally snows

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Single but soon to be engaged to my boyfriend of 3+ years. We talk about it all the time but honestly, marriage is not a priority. We would rather build our dream home and live our life. No kids planned. My dogs are all that I need :p

3. How would you define your farm?
Just trying to be self sustainable.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I would ride and show in 3 day eventing. I would also love to train and show one of my dogs in agility.

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Who wouldn't want to! I have always been building things. Never anything huge. The last thing I build was a 6x3 chicken coop for my hens. My SO was suppose to help me but I had a few days off so I knocked it out by myself. The garage was a mess from me cutting boarding with the table saw. OSHA would have NOT approved! :p. It ended up being a nice little coop and I gave it away to my sister now that I have a few other building to use for the birds.

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
I sadly cannot, but the SO can. He use to work in a welding/fabricating shop for a few years and is pretty handy. I would LOVE to learn how to weld!

7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I can't say that I was inspired. It has just always been in me to do it. I would not be happy living any other life.

8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby, although it would be nice to get paid to do what I love!

9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
I am knowledgeable about care being a vet tech by trade. Hard work is my best forte. I can also construct things fairly well and I don't always need the SO or a professional. I have always been a "get it done now but research how to do it" type of person. I need to know more about gardening. I have such a terrible brown thumb but I try!

10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
The only thing I can think of is rabbits. I can't stand the little buggers.

11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Well of course! That is the whole idea!

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
hmmm interesting question. I will have to come back to this!

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor. SO can drive anything. He has his commercial, tankers, doubles, hazmat, Motorcycle...He can and does drive anything. He is a diesel tech/mechanic/truck driver for a vineyard management company

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I make dog collars. From belting and fabric and plastic or metal hardware. My specialty is martingale collars but can do ones with snaps as well. I LOVE making dog collars. I have put together a tutorial that I am more than willing to give to anyone. I also sell them. I am handy with a sewing machine and can mend or make most anything. I also sew covers for my dogs beds.

15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Currently we do not have any. We will have boers, chickens, maybe a steer or a pig occasionally. I'd love to get another horse in the future

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
No I can't! I could probably figure it out if given the chance.

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
LOVE It. Right now I am growing tomatoes, spaghetti squash, green beans, carrots, brussel sprouts. Our large garden next year will have a lot more than that!

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Yep we fish. We have a 16 foot Glaspar with a 135 Mercury Thunderbolt Last thing I caught was a 50 inch white sturgeon a few months ago.

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
We have 2 acres that we bought. Its 1 mile from the center of a 2 stoplight town. Its kind of like a ranchette neighborhood.

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
Novice

21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Goats, chickens and gardening will be our specialty :)

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
Small scale ranch managing would be a cool degree! Curriculum would be land use and Planning, Animal management, Gardening, Carpentry, Welding, Electrical, Self Sustainability, Water collecting...I'd take them all :p

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
OH I love wood. I wish I could make bowls, tables...I can't though. Not currently anyway

24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Yes of course. I really do not like the use of chemicals. My dogs will be eating them so the less chemicals, the better!

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Idaho or montana.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
We do not.

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
I would like a fairy to come and make all my animals healthy again when they are sick. It doesn't happen often but I hate it when it does.

28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
Not to the extent that I am. I share a great affinity for chickens with my dad. My mom likes goats, my sister loves her dogs, my other sister rides horses like I do. She rides western though. My SO doesn't really have an opinion

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
LOVE LOVE LOVE cooking, I am interested in FRESH foods from my own backyard. Not a big fan of milk, In fact I don't even buy it. I adore fresh eggs :)

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Best animal experience would be my Thoroughbred gelding Ali. He was my heart and soul. He taught me everything I know about horses and I think of him still even though its been 3 years. He was also my worst experience because he died tragically, much too young.

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
We hunt. Deer, ducks, geese, turkeys, quail and we fish.

32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
I am a hard worker and what I don't already know, I can find out and apply it :)

33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
I process meat. I would like to perfect it on mammals. I would love to learn how to can.

34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
I would LOVE to, but we do not currently have anything set up

35 What is on your to do list?
OH man, I have a LOT. I would like to remodel the interior of the barn so I can have 2 stalls for the goats. I need to build garden boxes, cultivate the fields, put up fencing, plant fruit trees, get goats, get chickens, build an agility course for my dogs, paint the house, fill in pool....it will be never ending :)

36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
I have never had the chance but I would love to and hope to!

37. In what do you trust?
I don't trust anyone or anything. I do trust my SO, he is about the only rock in my life. I trust in myself to get this all done to the best of my abilities.

38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
OH YES. I can not recall a time when we ever enlisted a professional. Unless you count my stepdad because he is a contractor/carpenter. He helps us with everything but we also do it all ourselves. Everything from painting walls, fixing vehicles, plumbing, replacing windows, roofing, electrical...yeah we do it all.

39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
I am much calmer and happier with animals. I just love them.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'll add some photos of my boys :) All rescues, all raw fed.

Mikey the oldest. He is 9 and he is a jackass of a dog. I do love him though.

018.jpg

Gunner my heart dog. He is about 17 months now. He looks so serious in all his photos but I can assure you that he is the silliest thing.

EmilysIphone147-2-1.jpg

DSC038232.jpg

BriggsBirthday063.jpg

Sprocket is the middle child. He is 3 and a smart little pain in the butt.

Emilysiphone016-1.jpg

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The dogs are cute! Good luck on your adventure!

I would love to see your martingale collars, I have greyhounds.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Cute doggies but the animal legs next to the puppy are a bit creepy.... LOL
It may be a bit creepy but it was hilarious. I had been processing a deer and had given the legs to the dogs. Mikey kept hoarding all of them for himself but not eating them.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just a small Update.

We closed on the property and moved in last saturday. The dogs love it! We have a ton of work to do but we are home finally and I can't wait to make it ours :)

I got some chickens! :D

My best friend got me a silkie rooster...not sure why but I guess hes kind of cute? :p

Newhouse189.jpg

Yesterday I went to a local breeder and picked out and assortment of young birds. All under 2 months old. The older ones are 3 Sicilian Buttercups (one is a freebie rooster), 1 white cochin, 1 Partridge Cochin, and 1 black sumatra.
795BEA48-C2A5-4FDF-A53C-DCB838DCD232-1459-000001D5317331C3.jpg

9E04248B-B2CB-476C-A755-430A2944DB9E-1459-000001D538FAB8B2.jpg

F07E5458-9998-40F7-ABF2-5EC3194063C9-1459-000001D53DDFDF8F.jpg

DA2F3DA8-6CA5-42D0-975F-03A02E08E5D5-1459-000001D55018A0C2.jpg

The chicks I got are 2 salmon faverolles and 2 Ameraucanas.

E97EE491-F1B4-47C8-9C70-7E4B5BBF1DFD-1459-000001D52A744CDD.jpg

We also adopted a 5 year old cat named Bernard.

CCA711FE-BFD7-419F-A379-DCC1BBE7CE66-7008-00000612A3AD5E95.jpg