Pets: Whether to get 2 wethers or wether and doeling?

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Getting 2 8 week old Nigis in a couple of weeks. Originally I thought I would get 2 wethers but I like 1 of the doelings, probably wouldn't breed but suppose it might be nice to have the option, just in case. Is it a big hassle to feed a pregnant doe separately, or for that matter, doe and kids? I like to keep it simple. If I don't breed I'd be paying $200 more just to have a doe, but if it's nice to have a one around or a boy and a girl I'd do it.
I'd welcome any other thoughts on wether and doe or 2 wethers, and thanks!

goats&moregoats

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Willing to say: I thought I would just get a couple of "pet" goats summer of 2012. Umm, well I now currently have 9 plus two great LGDs. :). I have had one kidding season already (winter/spring 2013) and soon to start my second. I have sold some goats as well. Just saying, they get under your skin. :love I can't seem to have enough.

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, moregoats I'm fully aware of that syndrome (multiplying) maybe that's a plus for a doeling. And Sheep, I don't mind a few nonproductive mouths around and I am hoping that the goats may partially feed off some of the picky horse's leftovers. I'm just wondering if there's a better/different dynamic with 2 same sex or one of each...guess it's like kids, they're all different. Oh, they are kids...;)

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to BYH! :frow
I don't find separating or feeding a pregnant doe to be much of a hassle personally, but I grew up with such things, so they're just a matter of course for me. Perhaps someone who got into raising livestock later on in life could be of more help on that front...?

Also, pictures are mandatory when you get them ;)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
I do like the personality of wethers but like SheepGirl, I don't like having animals that don't offer some product for my work. We have dairy and meat goats, egg and meat chickens, LGDs, and they all have some working purpose. When DH decided to get into bunnies, that was my first though---what they heck are we going to do with those? Of course, his response was something like, "Love 'um and pet 'um..duh!" We got them on the condition that extras go into the freezer. :)

So really it is what you want in the animal---personable pet or an animal that can produce milk AND be a pet.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you just want pets wethers are probably the best. If you even think you may want to milk better to go the other way.

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'll have to look into HOW much is involved if I get into milking, I admit that my first thought with a doe was the option to have babies, just because...they are so cute! I know, possibly irresponsible on my part and I'm strictly ANTI breeding dogs, cats, horses, just because they are cute...(all my animals are rescues except these goats) The doe is from registered parents and good milking lines. But if everyone says I'm going to want more goats........:\