"Pooch Test" Question

Hope A.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi y'all!
This is my first time on here, so I am sorry if this is a silly question!
I have 3 does, one second freshener, and two first fresheners. ( So, technically, I have one doe and two doelings. I think. Getting back to the point...) How long is it until you can tell if she is pregnant by the pooch test? They have been with a buck for a while, and we saw two of them bred for sure, so I am pretty certain that they will be kidding around Feb 18-20th. Thank you!
~Hope

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you saw them bred, I guess the Feb 18-20 is based on that date?

We've been breeding goats for 5 years now, and I'm not aware of any pooch test to tell if they are pregnant.

If they don't come back into heat they probably are bred.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I have never understood all the pics of the doe's "parts" and pooch test... same as OFA, if the doe goes back into heat then she didn't settle. If she doesn't then she is bred. Most of our Nigies you can see a small udder forming at 2 months.

Hope A.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you saw them bred, I guess the Feb 18-20 is based on that date?

We've been breeding goats for 5 years now, and I'm not aware of any pooch test to tell if they are pregnant.

If they don't come back into heat they probably are bred.
Alright, thank you so much! That had me very confused! I did see one of the doelings bred, and counted the days. Day 145 will be the 18th. I believe the other two were bred a couple days after her, but I am not sure, so I will be watching those two. When do you think they would start showing?
What would be the best way to care for them? I had been planning on gradually reducing grain until they kid, and then gradually increasing to support lactation. And how do I guard against milk fever? We have some friends that had a goat die from that. Is there anything I should look out for in the first fresheners? Do I give them CDT 8 weeks before they kid? They have a good mineral mix right now, and were just dewormed. They are each getting about one cup of pellets a day, is that a good amount for ND's? All the guidelines I have found are for standard goats. (Sorry for this overload of questions, I am new to goats, and prone to worrying...I don't want to hurt them by my inexperience)

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alright, thank you so much! That had me very confused! I did see one of the doelings bred, and counted the days. Day 145 will be the 18th. I believe the other two were bred a couple days after her, but I am not sure, so I will be watching those two. When do you think they would start showing?
What would be the best way to care for them? I had been planning on gradually reducing grain until they kid, and then gradually increasing to support lactation. And how do I guard against milk fever? We have some friends that had a goat die from that. Is there anything I should look out for in the first fresheners? Do I give them CDT 8 weeks before they kid? They have a good mineral mix right now, and were just dewormed. They are each getting about one cup of pellets a day, is that a good amount for ND's? All the guidelines I have found are for standard goats. (Sorry for this overload of questions, I am new to goats, and prone to worrying...I don't want to hurt them by my inexperience)

When will they start showing. It can vary. Some get bigger than others. I haven't necessarily seen a connection between size and the number of babies either. I've got two that don't get very big and have 3 or 4 every time. And another who gets huge and has 1 or 2. You can usually detect some udder change in a couple of months. But, that can vary also. I have one who's udder get's huge 6 weeks before she kids, and another whose just looks the same and then baloons a week before she kids.

We give all of ours some feed through the winter when they are carrying kids. And then yes, more when they are lactating. I don't know what others do.
I've read that you are supposed to decrease their calcium intake during the last 30 days to avoid hypocalcemia (milk fever). Although we've never really made any particular effort. I think feedng a healthy diet and having loose minerals available with a 2:1 Calcium to Phosphorus ration is best.

I think we usually give ours the CDT booster 4-6 weeks before kidding.
A cup should be pretty good.

Last edited:

Hope A.

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Your advice is welcomed and appreciated!
~Hope

Latest posts