Possibility of mastitis?

Marge23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My doe that just had a kid a few days ago is not producing hardly any milk. The kid seems to get enough but i cant tell. Could this be mastitis or just low production? What would you suggest to do about it? Thanks

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would milk her out as often as you can. Take a close look at her milk. Any lumps, strings, or blood? I would take the does temp also.

If you keep milking her, you may need to supplement the kids until her production up. It doesn't mean you have to completely pull the kids, you can leave them with her but be prepared to give a bottle if necessary.

Was this her first kidding?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Same question as Southern.... why do you think she's not producing much? Is it just one kid? Does the kid seem hungry? Is he chasing her down and trying to nurse constantly? Is he crying?

New babies will nurse often but for only a few seconds at a time.

With just one kid she doesn't really need to produce much. However, if you want to milk her later for your own use - it would help to start milking her a little now. The more you take the more she'll produce.

Marge23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
This is her first kidding with one buckling. He just keeps chasing her and wanting to drink. I have just hand milked her to check and. I can't get much out. I will put her on the stand tomorrow and see. She is acting fine otherwise.

Marge23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh and he is nursing off both sides

Latest posts