Possible Birth Problem

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
One of my goats had been having very good contractions today to the point she would have a fleshy looking bulge looking thing in her rear.....but she stopped having contractions after a while, and then she started having some that were 2inutes apart then 10 minutes, then 5 minutes apart, and I don't know whether to be concerned, or not. Is she just in pre-labor, or is there a problem? And what was that bulge? I'm trying not to worry to bad because she has been drinking water often, and she ate this afternoon.

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is not my first kidding, I just have never seen this problem before so I would know what to do if something like repositioninga kid. I just don't know whether or not to do anything. Water hasn't broke as far as I know.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
fleshy looking bulge looking thing in her rear..

was it the rear or her vulva?
If rear then she may be prolapsing from pushing.
If vulva - at this point yes you need to go in and check her... how long ago was this?

We have had kids come before their water bag ... is it possible you are seeking a kid trying to come through? But first can look like this as well.

Any pictures?

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Vulva. And it was between 11 and 130 today and then she stopped. It's dark outside so no pictures. I called my granddad and asked because he used to raise goats, and he said to wait until morning and she should get them out on own. I don't know her due date, and only became apparent that she was pregnant when she started getting round and then a month later made an udder. So is there any possible way this could be a false labor?

lkmartin1230

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She was standing, and pushing a little. It resembled a sac, like the water maybe. I called my friend "the goat expert" and she told me to not worry about it as long as she eats, and drinks, and it goes back in by itself, then we should be okay. She says it's very common in goats with multiples. But I'll update if anything changes, or she has babies. Which ever comes first. Thanks for your help.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she has been doing this since 11am this morning .... In my experience the kids after 12 hours usually are dead.

When a doe labors and has contractions every 5 minutes or less is pushing and you see a sac/water bag and things do not progress, it is time to go in and see why she isn't able to push out.
Some does will just "give up" become exhausted and not push.

I hope this is not the case. Please update us.:fl