Possible Predators

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my horse has gotten hurt and has gashes from barbed wire. He is being taken care of but I am confused as is how this is happening. He is trying to break through the fence. The land owners have doge, but he has never been bothered by dogs. He is also on the nervous side. I have seen coyotes this year crossing the street every now and then during the day. Do you think a coyote could be after him and spooking him into the barbed wire? What do you think k could be causing him flight into the barbed wire fencing? There are 5-7 acres he has to roam.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Are you certain it isn't the dog?

The coyotes around here won't mess with something as big as a horse unless it is sick or otherwise compramised.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Coyotes won't go after horses. They will take a mini horse or pony foal if they can. Where do you live? Is there a cougar in the area? If no cougars or bears, it may be the dogs. A horse will usually kick dogs to defend himself, but if they pack up on him they could drive him into fencing.

On another note, depending where you live, I just heard about the friend of a friend who moved to Benicia in northern California. Her husband works on a cattle ranch and they have their horses in a large field. Her horses were getting cuts like barbed wire and the other cowboys told her husband it was from a "choke plant". artichokes grow wild there and they get 4' to 6' across and high. They are a type of thistle with barbed leaves. Apparently when they get that size their leaves are as stiff as cacti and the serrations are citting her horses legs! We had never heard of it before.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The dogs have tried arousing him and my mare up, does not faze them. They will either just toss their head or just kick them, but NEVER have they taken flight. Also while feeding them the dogs were barking and aggrevating them and other then a stop of the foot every once in a while, they are as calm as can be. The land owner said he got his first cut from the dog chasing him, but never in years of the dogs trying all they can to chase them has he let it faze him. Then a week later got an even worse gash in his leg. But as I mentioned the dogs were right there barking and doing all he can to raise Cain and nothing. So I really feel that there is something out there going after him and spooking him enough to take flight into the barbed wire fence.
I'm in Texas, but it's 100% the fence as we are having to re pare it
As for a cougar I don't think so but I don't know. I've just seen coyotes. So. Thought of them

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check around with the neighbors about cougars. They really spook horses. If he kicked at the dogs while next to the fence he may have gotten tangled up in the wire. If the dogsare with him all the tome though, it is probably them or they would be after the cougar.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I honestly strongly feel it's not the dogs. The dogs have done this for many years and he's never been fazed. My horse's are at a friends place and I asked him if anything was going on or different and he said no. I am almost wondering if I am going to have to get a donkey for protection.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Donkeys are good against coyotes and dogs, but not cougars. Before you get a protection animal, you need to identify the threat. Do coyotes in Texas run in large packs? Here they are solitary except when raising their pups.
Here's a laugh on me: Years ago we had cougars in the area taking animals so we decided to get some backup for our LGDs who were protecting sheep and goats. We got a couple of guardian llamas. I was very pleased with myself and patting myself on the back for my innovative approach to the cougar problem. Then I read that in their native South America llamas are the cougars' favorite food! OOPS! I just brought in the cougar appetizers! LOL

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh no! That had to have sucked!
When I saw the coyotes it was only 1 at a time, so I don't thinks so, but not positive. Yall very well could be right and it be the dogs, I just dont feel it is, but I'm not sure what it is. I just want whatever it is to stop as it's injuring my horse.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some areas here do have packs of coyotes... I do not agree they they won't go after a horse. My Dh's co-worker arrived home and her horse was in the field foaling and coyotes were eating the foal as it was being birthed.

Our neighbor has asked my son (who is licensed) when it is in season to trap coyotes as he has just lost 2 calves to coyotes.

When I read the post I suspect the dogs.

Therry

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Aww that's so sad :(. Poor things!
If it happens again I may have to find a way to get a donkey then if that's the case.
I'm just confused as to why out of all the years is it facing him now?