Possible Theft Attempt?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was reminded of this at 2:45am that we are in the season...

THEFT SEASON!

Recently there was a farm here in NC that had their goats stolen right out of their pasture. A neighbor saw all that happened. Last year friends of ours had goats stolen too.

At 2:45 am suddenly the dogs were going nuts. Not the usual “I see something and I am going to bark”.

This was with full intensity and ALL the dogs. So much racket it woke me but I decided to wait before checking... that is when the thought occurred to me... “WAIT- that is in the front field out by the road”.

We live on a 2 lane country highway. Although traffic has picked up in our area, generally in the middle of the night there is not much of anything, maybe the occasional truck.

I could hear the big LGD's but the pups too and then there was Callie the Anatolian that is way back through the woods and D that is not anywhere in the vicinity...After about 5 minutes I look out the window there was a car and a pick up with a trailer STOPPED right out in front of the front field at the far end of the property. I look at the clock it is 2:50am. At this point I get up... vehicles brake lights go off and off they went. From that point on the dogs were on high alert ALL night. Went out at 3:30 am to try to get them calmed down. They never really did.

I will call my neighbors and let them know about the situation...

Went out early this am and the tracks were visible as where they'd pulled over, footprints too.
Looked for possibility of maybe a struck deer or something... no signs.
Could have been nothing OR could have been something.
Be watchful because this is high theft season.

Glad I have LGD's! If it was someone up to no good at least they were met with 6 LGD's!

BTW- dogs are tired this am but still on high alert.

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd stake out two goats near the road, pens the dogs with the rest of the goats closer to the house and be waiting for those dirtbags with a few buddies and several loads of rock salt!

We don't take kindly to thieves in this part of the country. Glad you didn't lose any critters.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thieves must not really have a soul
I mean stealing livestock is like the lowest things to steal not only can animals like breeding stock they can be worth more then the thieves truck/trailer and it steal directly from thr mouths of the owner stealing a couple of beef cattle could cause the farmer to just break even that year
Instead of making profits

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Good dogs!

We have a huge, year round theft problem where we live (South Africa). The other day a friend popped in for a visit and asked if I have any chickens for sale, as she wanted some. Then told me she's waiting for someone she ordered some chickens from, but he has to go steal them first :th I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
your so right sbc, could have been nothing but most probably WAS something. what good dogs, i know you are proud of them

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd stake out two goats near the road, pens the dogs with the rest of the goats closer to the house and be waiting for those dirtbags with a few buddies and several loads of rock salt!

We don't take kindly to thieves in this part of the country. Glad you didn't lose any critters.

My goats would be tooo scared. They are fraidy cars, they prefer a nightlight in their barn.
:lol:
The dogs would never tolerate the goats being alone.
I should put our Kiko Buck out there with Callie the Anatolian. That would be a hoot. Callie is in love with her goat and would do anything for him...at the same time her goat (yep- you read that right) would do anything for her. This daggone Kiko Buck stands over her in the day while she sleeps to guard her! The craziest thing you have ever seen.
If she takes off to bark at something he goes with her!:ep
My DD always says "good morning Lovebirds" these two are inseparable! Craziest thing ever. Goat protecting the dog. :rolleyes:
Good dogs!

We have a huge, year round theft problem where we live (South Africa). The other day a friend popped in for a visit and asked if I have any chickens for sale, as she wanted some. Then told me she's waiting for someone she ordered some chickens from, but he has to go steal them first :th I didn't know if I should laugh or cry!
Just WOW! that is unreal. How do you keep thieves away?

your so right sbc, could have been nothing but most probably WAS something. what good dogs, i know you are proud of them

I am proud of them.:)

Interesting evening... the dogs are back on high alert. I was watching out over the little field. Something through the woods making the dogs uneasy. When they get into "that mode" it really is a sight to see. I am invisible to them...they are so focused.
Both Amy and Badger take off out to the open field, Badger has tail up and is 6 inches taller, Ruff up, neck and head held strong and high. Amy is booking it and all over the fenceline (wire). Serious expressions, Badger will make a loop and run back to the small field and it is as if he is counting the goats, keeping them all at the barn and condensed together tightly then he takes off again. This is amazing to see teams work as Amy stays put and never leaves the area of the threat.... Badger looped at least 10 times, he is so fast it is a little unnerving. Goats do not move. The pups went to head out but what was really smart was they stopped at the "blue gate". They are watching mom and dad and it is as if though there is some signal that lets them know to stay put. They seem to know to stay out of the way and let mom and dad handle it. Tiggs the Toli pup stayed alert but with the goats.
I stayed put and never said a word. The dogs would not hear me anyway...that "switch" was flipped and they are in one gear only.
Times like this I wish I had a camera phone.
Truly is a moment where you see what they do and the beauty of it, the care they take in doing their job. Makes me so grateful to have such incredible LGD's.
Simply cannot imagine having goats without them.

BTW-I am reporting the incident to the sheriff so at least there will be some alert.

Last edited:

Latest posts