problems getting babies

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Hello, I raise French lop rabbits and have currently had zero luck getting anything from my nine females. I have 22 failed breedings over the past few months... not even an issue with either party being willing, because they are more than so. Just a matter of the due date rolls around and nothing happens.

Has anyone else had these issues and found a way to fix it? I've started adding a vit d/calcium powder to their feed to see if it helps any....

Thank you for any advice!
14 - 1 (4).jpg

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would love more details on your setup and how experienced you are! There are a lot of different possibilities for why you're having problems.

My first guess is that if you're having the same issue with all 9 females, you might should try a different buck...

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I have a total of six bucks, 12 does with 3 being jrs, and have tried two of a friends, she is also not getting anything. Seeks to be most people in my area? Even with lighting on a timer for them. I've been raising rabbits since 2007 and never had the issue but the French lops last year took some effort to start breeding and having babies but this year is just nothing.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Then I'd say you are much more experienced than me and we need a rabbit expert over here! My only other thought is that we have had a lot of UNsuccess with bucks and does who are unfamiliar with each other. The remedy has been to house them next to each other for a few weeks before attempting to breed them.

samssimonsays

Reaction score
I have done this as well, sorry Lol. My barn is not very segregated as I feel they need companions but French are far too aggressive, well the females, to even try as I have multiple times with failure each time. I was really Hoping for a cure all when I posted but I have asked other breeders and they've all had the same issues with no luck. Sigh. I'm hoping my added calcium and vit d helps them internally. I have changed feed, put their light on a timer and given them what little warm sunshine we've had here. Even have the heater running still in there since temps started dropping again. :/

JakeM

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What you can possibly try (cause I'm having the same issues with my Havanas) is switch the buck and doe and put them in each others cage. Give them a day or two to become adjusted to their new 'territory' and then take the doe to the buck (she shouldn't be aggressive about it being her cage originally, but if she is, keep them separated for another couple days). This allows them to acquire each others smell and get in the mood.

Otherwise, what I'm most likely trying next, is use a proven buck or doe from a different breed. Just make sure the doe is either the same size or larger. (I'll be using a proven Mini Rex buck on my Havana doe).

P.S. If you have the space and you can keep them in good condition for shows, breed your Jr's as soon as possible (whether that's tomorrow or after their next show) so that their hips can be wide enough for later births and they don't completely fuse without the proper/needed width. It's also thought that does who don't have a litter within their first year go 'sterile' (they won't literally be, but it may be harder for them to take).

Hope this helps and good luck!

samssimonsays

Reaction score
Thanks so much! I'll try that again, haven't for a few months now. My French lops need to make sr weight before I breed them and because they are a giant breed I don't start trying to breed until 9 months old unless I get a doe growing too rapidly. I did have a doe that was 9 months when I started trying and just didn't have anything until three days before she turned 2 I have a doe out there now who I couldn't get a litter from until 17.5 months old.. Some don't mature until later on which is a huge difference from my mini lops Lol. And so far, all but 2 of my bucks are proven and 4 of my does are proven? I'm at a loss. I've been told try younger, wait till they're older, I had tried a mini lop Buck but he was just too small, mini Rex had the same issues. My girls are wide loads haha! I had palpated them all last month and they palpated positive, at week two when "tickled" they would not lift and if presented with a Buck would not lift or ride him. In my does, this means preggers when presenting these signs along with a bigger belly and slightly longer teats (they are extremely difficult to palate for babies with their sheer size and fatty glory ) But we got a very short cold snap and it hit out of nowhere, temps dropped while i was at work, and i got home and turned the heater on but it took a bit to catch up. Lasted 5 days and three days after that no one was pregnant anymore. my does are very eager to breed right now, as are my bucks where last year and year before that it was a struggle to get either party interested in the act. We flopped cages, we've been for car rides, We did apple cider vinegar in water, fodder, calcium /vit d supplement, I ordered a natural supplement for pregnant does, I've changed feed, bought new does, new bucks, fresh fruits and veggies, bananas especially, fresh cut grass, natural sunlight, special bulbs on timers, heat, no heat, winter, fall, summer and now spring time. My head is beginning to spin with what I've done and not had success with. I've gone as far as switching type of hay I feed. Usually I'll get a couple does who took and get something but this is just horrible. My 4 bucks proven average litters between 7 and 10 babies. My does have had litters between 7 and 13 babies in their litters. No one is over weight, they get exercise which I've cut back on to see if it'll help. I've heard it's a lot of people struggling but I'm averaging 0% for months now and usually my lowest is 20% ... is it just the weather? Quality of an ingredient all feeds have? Is it just me? Or are my does playing games with me,I have no clue. It is exhausting to say the least. Ugh.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, we farm a herd of two does and one buck right now (soon to double our numbers), they are NZ mutts and/or Silver Foxes that are fed Purina pellets and decent quality hay. We have had breeding problems only when switching locations, does, or bucks. So it's got to be possible to get your bunnies-- who have much more attentive care--to breed! The pregnancy test you described has fooled me a few times, because I have does who become convinced that they are pregnant every time a buck mounts them.

I know they are show rabbits, but maybe make a point of not handling them for a few weeks, then try re-breeding. Maybe with all the adjustments made to try to increase fertility, the rabbits are feeling a little stressed.