1. Official BYH Caption Contest #3 - October 2014 - Pic by HoneyDreamMomma
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

2. BYH Picture Contest - Fall 2014
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

3. BYH New Section: Bees & Beekeeping
    CLICK HERE!

4. Official Poll: What breed of Livestock Guardian Dog do you prefer?
    CLICK HERE!

5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Prohibit Levamisole Drench Powder for Sheep - Goat Dosage?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by jodief100, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010
    jodief100

jodief100 True BYH Addict Golden Herd Member

I went to my local farm store and they had Prohibit Levamisole Drench powder for sheep. I bought the 2 packages they had. I was going to get the 40 Levamisole tablets they had too but these packages will treat 256-100 lb sheep and I only have 20 goats.

What is the dosage for goats? My guess would be 1-1/2 times the sheep dosage but I am being cautious becuase it says I need to be careful and have accurate weights.
  2. Jul 22, 2010
    DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Loving the herd life

Yes, I too bought some Prohibit powder when I had the chance about a month ago.

Does anyone know dosages??

DonnaBelle
  3. Jul 22, 2010
    cmjust0

cmjust0 Loving the herd life

The levamisole goat dosage is 12mg/kg of bodyweight. That's just about exactly 1.5x the sheep dosage.

Careful with it...it's good stuff, but it is O/D'able. Get an accurate weight on the goat.

I'll tell you this much, too.....if I had the prohibit powder, the first thing I'd do is go find the seediest 'head shop' I could (where you buy bongs and whatnot :p ) and plunk down $40 for a high quality digital gram scale.

Reason being, If I only had a few to treat, there's NO WAY I'd mix up a whole package and throw the rest out.

And, yeah, there is a reason why I know how much a gram scale costs, and where to get one.. And, no, it's not because I'm a drug addict...it's because I'm a goat addict. I went to a seedy head shop and plunked down $40 for a gram scale so I could dose out Copasure.

Told the clerk what I needed it for, and she goes...."Mmmmhmm.. A likely story." I got a little sheepish, and then she just busted out laughing. :lol:

My scale lives in my goat med cabinet and comes in really handy on a pretty regular basis.. In fact, I used it just the other night to dose out ammonia chloride powder. :)
  4. Jul 22, 2010
    glenolam

glenolam Loving the herd life

Just a regular ol' red neck hill billy aren't ya?!?
  5. Jul 22, 2010
    cmjust0

You forgot "ignorant"...I'm just an ignorant hillbilly who don't know no better.

:)
  6. Jul 22, 2010
    jodief100

I already have a good scale. I use it for reloading and I didn't have to go to a head shop. I got it from the same place I get primers and powder. Good thing I live in Kentucky, some parts of the country reloading would be considered worse than drug addict.

Proud to be a red-neck hillbilly.
  7. Jul 22, 2010
    cmjust0

You're in Kentucky, huh?

Me too.. :)

Oh, hey...btw...where's that feed store from which you did NOT buy their remaining stock of levasole sheep boluses again?

:p :gig :lol:
  8. Jul 22, 2010
    Calliopia

Calliopia Ridin' The Range

I know levasole was very hard to find for a while and a lot of the online places are still out. I have a local supplier that has powder in stock for limited purchases. 3 per person. Is this still impossible to find and off market for the human drug testing phase?
    Should I be buying 3 myself and 3 under my husband? (L) My understanding was that you don't always need it but when you do you want it on hand. I have preferred to stick to drugs w/ less of an od risk simply because I am less experienced w/ dosing.
  9. Jul 22, 2010
    jodief100

Would you like me to go and get them for you? They were $0.99 each and I shoved them to the back of the shelf behind something else... just in case.

I have 170 doses of the drench and 20 goats. I think I am good for awhile.

I am in Pendleton County but the Feed Store is north of me in Campbell County. I seem to recall you are in central KY?
  10. Jul 22, 2010
    cmjust0

Yeah, it's still basically off the market. There are various rumors as to why...

Human drug trials
    HUGE problem of levamisole hydrochloride being cut w/ cocaine
    Earthquake leveled the factory in China
    Fire at the factory
    Lack of demand
    etc etc etc..

If you can get it, get some of it. If it comes back into circulation on the regular, great...if not -- and I don't suspect it will anytime soon -- then at least you'll have it handy.

I'm actually in northern Scott county, so we're not too far apart at all. I used to drive up to Pendleton county very occasionally to take my little boat out on Kincaid lake. They say there are lunkers in there...all I really ever caught were a ton of bluegill and lots of peace and quiet, minus the annoyance of jetskis and other "watersports enthusiasts."

If I didn't have any levasole on hand, I'd drive up to Campbell county myself THIS WEEKEND and grab the rest...but I managed to wrangle some up for myself a while back. I have 87 oblets on hand, which is enough to treat 2,871lbs of goat. I figure that'll get me by for a while.

I super appreciate the offer, though. :D :D :D

Goat people are cool. :)