Pygmy goat with injured leg

lilcheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 6 month old pygmy goat that I found yesterday with its rear left leg tangled in an electric fence rope (fence wasn't on). I have no idea how it got tangled or how long it was tangled for (3 hours?) . The fence rope created a loop around the leg but I don't think it cut off circulation as there was enough slack for me to pull the rope to create a larger loop to get the leg out.

Last night he wouldn't use the leg at all, and this morning he seems to use it when he's just standing around for support, but not to walk.

Do you think it could be broken? There wasn't any cuts or swelling that I could tell and like I said, the rope was tight enough to create a hold but loose enough for me to get him unstuck.

Should I bring him to a vet for x-rays? Just let him rest? He's eating great yet, just lounging during the day.

Thoughts?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would just watch him and make sure to help him get up as many times a day as you can so that he does not get sick from being down too much. Usually after 3-4 days if it's just a pulled muscle they will have healed up. If it's still not better 4 days from the injury, I would consider getting the vet involved. Let us know how he does!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would just watch him and make sure to help him get up as many times a day as you can so that he does not get sick from being down too much. Usually after 3-4 days if it's just a pulled muscle they will have healed up. If it's still not better 4 days from the injury, I would consider getting the vet involved. Let us know how he does!
X2

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
x3

Like the others said, just keep an eye on it. Goats are pretty hardy and bounce back from this kind of thing. We have given aspirin to a doe who wouldn't use her leg, but it is best to consult a vet first.

I know someone who had a goat pull off half a hoof because he jumped a fence. The goat if fine now and managed to breed several does right after the injury, he was also a young buck too :eek:

lilcheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update on things. Yesterday morning (approx 12 hours after injury) he was still favoring the leg a lot but like I mentioned was using it to support himself while he ate. Throughout the day, he got up on his own and roamed around eating in the pasture. By evening, he was using the leg to walk but with a heavy limp. I assume that fact that he was using it is a good sign. While I brought them in for the night, i felt the leg and the goat didn't seem to mind. I didn't squeeze or anything, just rubbed up and down to see if I could feel anything major, which I felt normal to me.

This morning when I went to them out, he was up waiting and crying for food as he always does, but back to favoring the leg a lot. My assumption is the leg is probably stiff in the morning just like I would be if a had an injury to a muscle, so I hope this is what it is. Thank you everyone for your advice, I will keep you all posted.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very glad to hear he is using the leg... now, where the heck are the pictures, please and thank you... you can't get us all concerned over your young lad and not show us pictures!

lilcheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry..here is a picture of my two kids :) The black one on the right is the one that has the leg injury currently.

o9w5ti5SnwNel8IFvP5mOSyWPSd9jFILKoV-AVZatqU=w538-h955-no

lilcheeks

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Small update. This morning when went to let them out, he was laying on the injured leg, and when he got up was favoring again. As I fed them, I wanted to get a good feel of his leg so I was able to hold the hoof part, and actually move it up and down without him caring. I was able to poke around the thigh area without any issue and actually brushed the leg with a soft brush and he didn't care. Below is a link to a video from last night just to show you how he is favoring it. At the end of the night he was back to limping on it but in the morning it seems more sore. Based on me being able to move the leg around myself seems like its still a muscle issue, but doesn't seem to be getting much better.

https://goo.gl/photos/EU85aHCo1wpiZpUe7